Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Sarah stood in front of the vanity. Her hair was pulled to one side with some of it falling over her shoulder, while the rest fell down her back. She was dressed in a soft flowy off the shoulder green gown. Agatha it seemed had taken extra care with her appearance tonight for some reason. Sarah glanced around the empty room. The candles in the sconces flickered and gave the room a bit of a romantic feel. It had this same look since she had arrived, but some how it felt different tonight.

She glanced back down to what sat on the top of the vanity. Did any of them once belong to Volupta? Sarah still couldn't believe all that Psyche had told her. Poor Jareth. To lose your mother and believe your father was dead. Of course she wonder what type of a father left his child alone. She did feel safer knowing that the arrows were destroyed. Now they could never be used on anyone again.

Sarah sighed as she heard a knock on the door. She walked over and opened it, to find a line of goblins carrying service dishes. They walked past her and out on to the balcony. Then they returned empty handed and out the door. Sarah stood with the door opened for a few moments until Jareth walked in and shut the door behind him.

"Sarah, are you all right?"

She looked at him after shaking her head. "What's going on?"

Jareth gestured towards the balcony. "We're having dinner on the balcony tonight, Sarah."

Sarah turned towards him. "Why? We should be eating with your grandparents."

Jareth nodded and moved towards her a little. "Yes, we should be eating with them, but they will understand why we are not. My grandfather and I have already talked about this." He walked towards the balcony, turning just as he reached the door. "Come, Sarah. We need to talk." Then he walked out on to the balcony, leaving Sarah alone in the room.

She looked after him. What the hell was going on? He was eating dinner with her alone. Well, yes he had been doing that since she arrived, but now there were two other people in the castle. This was something big or something very private. Sarah swallowed and followed Jareth out to the balcony.

The little table on the balcony sat covered with a romantic lit dinner for two. Well that's what it looked like to Sarah. She glanced over at Jareth, who stood next to the wall looking out at his kingdom. He didn't look like he was with her, but somewhere else.

"Jareth, what's wrong?"

He turned towards her and sighed. "Sarah, there are some things you need to know."

Sarah walked towards him. "What?" She stopped about a yard away. "What's going on?"

Jareth placed his hands behind him on the wall. "I don't know where to start."

Sarah smiled softly. "Some say the beginning is best."

He almost smiled. "There really isn't a beginning, but I'll do my best." He took a breath of air. "It's about your mother."

"My mother." Sarah took a step back. "Why would I care about that horrible woman?"

"Sarah."

"No. She left me, Jareth. Do you know how much that hurts?"

Jareth hung his head.

"Oh, sorry you would. So you can understand why I don't want to talk about her. It's better that way."

Jareth raised his head. "Sarah, I know why your mother left."

"So do I. She left cause of him."

"Who's him?"

Sarah glanced out behind him. "I don't know."

"She left because she had to, Sarah." Sarah glanced back at him. She opened her mouth. "Wait, Sarah. Let me finish. She left because if she didn't she would die."

"What do you mean?"

"Sarah, you're mother is a demigod."

"WHAT?"

"Yes. Actually she's here somewhere."

"So why did she leave me exactly?"

"Achilles, sent word out that if the demigods did not return he would have them killed. So she came back. He forbid them from bringing any of their children with them. He sees you and all others like you as vermin."

"Isn't he a demigod? Doesn't he know that demigods are half god and half human?"

"Oh, he knows, but he doesn't want to be reminded of it."

Sarah glanced out at the kingdom. "Jareth, I don't know."

He moved towards her. "You don't have to believe me now, but I promise it's the truth."

Sarah looked back at him. "Give me time."

Jareth walked to the table and pulled out one of the chairs. "Well actually we have more to talk about."

Sarah walked to the table and sat down. "What now? Wasn't that a big enough shock?"

Jareth took his seat and looked at her as they both placed their napkins in their laps. "Sarah, it won't be as bad as that."

The two began their meal of chicken. Sarah never noticed that Jareth was watching her more than he was eating.

XOXOX

Jareth stood against the wall looking out over his kingdom. Sarah was inside his bedchamber getting ready for bed. At least this time, he had promised to stay outside. Agatha would come get him as soon as Sarah was finished. He hadn't told her. The one thing his grand father had told him to be sure to tell her. He hadn't told her. Oh, he still could, but didn't feel right to tell her now. She had to think about what he had revealed about her mother.

Jareth sighed. This was not going to be easy. Sarah had a lot to think about. She didn't need to deal with the fact that he loved her. At least not yet. Oh, he would tell her, but not now. Now Sarah needed time to deal with the fact her mother had no choice in leaving her.