Chapter 14: Just for Christmas

Chapter 14

I couldn't tell if he was in a bad mood or not. He just sat there all quiet and emotionless; like he always did...but more. I couldn't explain it.

He just looked more lost in thought than usual. I wished I was brave enough to smooth the lines between his brows. I wished I was brave enough to say something...anything, but all I could do was move the fruits around in my plate.

"Cam eat something." It was the first thing he'd said to me all morning. I looked at him and our eyes met for about a second before he looked away again.

I sighed. My stomach was in knots. I couldn't eat even if I wanted to and he hadn't touched his breakfast either. He had a hand wrapped around his cup of coffee that he was hardly even drinking.

Last night I'd done the hardest thing I'd ever done in my life and this morning he couldn't even look at me. I chewed on my bottom lip. Every time I thought about what I'd said to him my chest hurt.

He said he didn't love me back, but the way his heart was beating...

I sneaked a peek at him. He was rubbing his forehead, like he had a headache or something and his eyes were closed. He was so handsome and perfect and I felt miserable not knowing what everything meant.

Maybe he was afraid. I'd read some of Monte's romance books; sometimes guys were just afraid of what they were feeling.

I shook my head. This wasn't a stupid book. This was real life and Damion wasn't afraid of anything. He was big and strong and he could handle anything. He wasn't afraid. He was just...just...

I blinked away the stupid tears. Stop being such a crybaby. Damion had seen enough of it last night, but I was scared and I didn't want him to give me to James. I just wanted to stay with him...forever.

My lips trembled.

I pushed my plate away from me and pressed my ear to the table. Sometimes I wished I didn't have feelings.

"At least have some tea."

"I don't feel good."

He moved then and his hand hovered over my head for a few seconds, but I didn't feel his fingers in my hair like I hoped. Instead he curled them into fists and pulled away.

I watched him as stood up and his chair scraped against the floor. He walked over to the window with his cup and just stood there looking out at nothing.

"I'm sorry."

He didn't say anything but I knew he heard me because the corners of his eyes tightened for just a second before he ran a hand over his face.

"Monte says it's okay to be afraid sometimes." I said quietly. "Because it means we're human."

"I'm not afraid."

My brows furrowed. "I know. You're not afraid of anything."

He shook his head and sipped his coffee and I figured I better shut up before I made him mad.

............................................

The hotel people came and cleared away all our plates and Damion had gone to the room. That was over two hours ago.

He was going to get rid of me. I could feel it. I'd gone and ruined everything. I was trying to write in my journal, but my hands were shaking. I couldn't draw because I didn't have any inspiration and I couldn't think about anything because everything was so confusing in my head. He was so angry now and it was because of me opening my big mouth and making everything worse.