Chapter 15: Making Memories

Chapter 15

I was dreaming about pumpkin pie; the best scent in the world and my all-time favorite Christmas treat. I was back home with my family and my brother, his wife and his kids were there. Monte was there too and everyone was happy; even my dad—he was sitting in the living room with Damion talking about business things and I was in the kitchen with my mom, watching her bake a pumpkin pie especially for me. 

I loved Christmas with my family. I loved how happy it made everyone and how everything tasted amazing no matter who made it. I especially loved how beautiful and bright everything was.

I couldn't help but smile as mom pulled the pie out of the oven. She was wearing her favorite apron; the one with the yellow frills at the bottom that I used to play with when I was a kid. She set the pie down on the counter before me and touched a finger to the tip of my nose.

Her hand smelled like fresh roses. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, then wrinkled my nose when it started to itch. I reached up to rub the itch away and I heard a deep chuckle. When I opened my eyes and blinked twice, Damion came into focus. He was kneeling on the floor beside me with his elbows propped up on the bed as he twirled a single red rose in his hand.

I felt a slight pang in my chest when I realized my mom wasn't actually there, but the feeling cleared completely when I realized Damion was grinning down at me. His hair was damp; from a shower I guessed. He smelled like hotel soap and flowers. I shifted closer to him and sniffed and he chuckled.

I liked the way he was smiling even with his eyes; it was different from how he usually smiled (which was rare anyway). I wondered what had happened to the shadows that I usually saw in them. I wondered why he suddenly looked freer; like all his troubles had disappeared and there was nothing else left to do but to be happy.

I wondered if this new change was because it was Christmas—everyone was happy at Christmas time. I reached up to touch the side of his face and he raised a brow like he was amused or something. I blushed and he caught my hand before I could pull away and wrapped my fingers around the stem of the rose—he had taken off all the thorns.

I sat up and sniffed it. I always did like the smell of roses. Sometimes I would go into the flower shop down the street from where me and Monte lived just to smell them. This was the very first time someone had given me one for my very own though. It was just too bad it wouldn't last forever—neither would the rose.

I looked back at him and smiled. I never dreamed that one day I would have a big handsome man kneeling by my bedside with a rose and a smile just for me. It was the best thing I'd ever woken up to in my life and I couldn't wait to tell Monte all about it.

"Merry Christmas."

I blushed when he spoke. His voice sounded especially deep and sexy this morning. It made me feel things.

"I was dreaming about pumpkin pie." I told him and thought it was cute when he titled his head slightly to the side.

"Really now? I never knew you liked pumpkin pie."

I nodded. "My mom used to make it for me at Christmas. We used to sit in the kitchen and eat it even before breakfast. Monte bakes it for me at Christmas too but it doesn't taste like my mom's." I told him. "It's one of my favorite Christmas memories."

"I see." He said, like he was thinking real hard about it.

"What's your favorite Christmas memory?"

He smiled that new smile that I loved and my whole body got warm. "When we were kids Donny and I used to spend all Christmas day watching hallmark movies and eating ice-cream."