Plates

Every week. Every bloody week.
My parents end up fighting and then making up 3 hours later. But every week or so Mum and I have to eat dinner at Aunty Jackie's. She's not my real Aunty, she's just Mum's best friend so we've always been close to the Goodman's.

Yet again, another Friday night is spent there. Mum was crying in the living room with Aunty Jack. I was in the shed with Uncle Martin. He was meant to be throwing out magazines he was keeping from Aunty Jack but she found them and so he's searching a new place to hide them. So far his best idea was to cover all the boxes they were in with a blanket.

"There you go," he stepped back.

"Excellent" I commented, "when are the bambinos getting here?" I asked him, referring to the boys.

"Ah who knows," he replied, at that moment the boys had arrived. Jonny and Adam walked through the door looking uncomfortable.

"Pusface, Pissface" I greeted Adam and Jonny respectively. They nodded.

"Alright Pest" Jonny addresses me by my cute nickname, "what's the topic of tonight's fight?"

"Plates" 

"Plates?" Adam asked. I nodded and repeated myself.

"Plates. I wouldn't read into it, I don't even know if they're fighting about the china or tectonic" I leaned against what I thought was the wall but was actually boxes stacked up very high. They all fell down.

"Oh shitting hell!" Martin let loose. The boys and I tried not laughing. We were all kicked out of the shed so he could rearrange his wall again.

"Any females Adam?" I teased as we entered the back door. He rolled his eyes and Jonny laughed.

"Oh god, not you too. Every time we have this conversation it's the same answer; no"  Adam was being emotional again. We all walked to the kitchen and began snacking. Jonny got the whipped cream out and began spraying that in his mouth, I opted for cheese and crackers.

"You're getting pretty old now Adam, you need to find your Eve soon otherwise you'll end up like-well, my Dad" I told Adam, his face screwed up.

"I'm 25, I'm only 2 years older than you two" 

"Biological clocks running out" I joked. At that moment Aunty Jackie walked in.

"Boys, go and talk to your Aunty. Sweetie, would help me with the salad?" She asked me. I obliged. The boys groaned and got a death glare from Aunty Jack.

"Pest and Aunty Val are staying for dinner? She always gets the good stuff and we're left with the rest" Jonny complained.

"Well, she's the closest I've got to a daughter" Aunty Jack quickly gave me a peck on the cheek.
"So any boys in your life, love?" Oh, here we go.

"Yeah I suppose, I'm seeing this guy Bradley tomorrow night. Having dinner together"

"Oh, how exciting. Is he handsome?" She asked, she always loved a bit of gossip.

"Very. He's got lovely blue eyes, nice blonde hair too and his jawline is to die for" we giggled.

"Oh that's great I hope I meet him soon, better than looking at these lot every Friday" we both laughed again. Then heard a cry from Mum. We dropped what we were doing and rushed to the living room, Mum was sobbing on the couch while the boys stood together awkwardly near the entrance. Aunty Jack went and hugged mum, I patted her back. When I turned my head the boys were gone. Knobheads.
Dinner was delayed because of mum. I sat next to Adam and she sat next to Uncle Martin. She was still tearful.

"Lovely roast Aunty Jack" I complimented the cooking.

"Aw thank you, sweetie"

"Yes, lovely bit of roast squirrel" Uncle Martin laughed at his own joke.