Baby Goodman

Thank you @immrssebastianstan for the idea for this story!

*******************

"I don't think I should be here I'm very sick," I leaned against the cold car. The air was extra chilly tonight, although that could just be my heightened senses. I smell everything from the piss stained path to Wilson's shit beside the house.

"Mum will get suspicious. She loves you and will totally ditch the rest of us at dinner to bring you all the food," he wrapped his arms around me as I smiled into his chest.

"You're lucky you're cute,"

"Oh so you're only dating me for my looks," he winked.

"I don't feel like I should tell anybody, it's still really early," I protested but Jonny was excited. He wanted to scream from the rooftops that he was going to be a dad.

"I know but can we at least tell one person!" He jumped up and down like an excited child. He caught me in a nurturing mood, his bubbly energy really rubbed off on me and I decided to agree.

"Okay. Fine. One person,"

"Hello!" Jim appeared from behind the house. Scaring the both of us.

"Jesus!" Jonny yelped and held his heart.

"Jesus? No, it's just me and little Wilson," the timid man replied, "he likes to uh...go behind your bins sometimes,"

"That's disgusting," I muttered, "Hey Jim do you like secrets?"

"Oh my yes,"

"What are you doing?" Jonny asked in a warning tone.

"You wanted someone to tell.." my voice trailed off. I kept looking back and forth between the men.

"I'm very good with secrets. I once knew a man who was married for 20 years then divorced because his wife caught him having relations with a canine," an uncomfortable silence followed after that.

"Okay. Don't tell anyone. Especially Mum, but Viv here is pregnant," his goofy smile never looked so beautiful. It made me light up as well. Seeing him so happy honestly made this situation so much better.

"Ooh, a baby! Congratulations!" He went to hug me which I accepted for some reason. He somehow smelled like raw fish and cooked beef.

"Thank you. Remember, don't tell Jackie," I spoke sternly. He zipped his lips and threw away the lock.

"See you later Jim," Jim just waved goodbye, sticking his vow of silence.
Inside I was met with this rancid scent that sent waves of nausea through me.

"Oh god," I opened the bathroom door and vomited in the sink.

"Um...occupied," Adam was on the toilet, which made puke a little more.

*

"Here you go, love. Eat some crackers too," Aunty Jack made me a cup of tea. Jonny told her I had a bad Chinese.

"Thanks, Mum," oh no. I accidentally let it slip. Jonny noticed it too. We waited for the inevitable squeal and tight hugging but it didn't arrive. Jackie just rubbed my back and walked out of the room.

"That went quite well-" Jonny began but was cut off by a high-pitched squeal and something metal dropping on the kitchen floor, "there it is."

"Just imagine how she'll react when we tell her..." my voice trailed picturing Jackie jumping up and down with joy for us. Talking non-stop to me about gender and names and how she'll want a granddaughter because she's sick of boys but ultimately it won't matter because she'll love it even if it turns out like Jonny-a little shit. Adam will give me a polite hug and then tease Jonny about being a father before him and then they'll have a little fight on the couch while Martin continues to pick the lint out of his belly button or something.