21. Psych Ward

Omniscient pov

Stephanie opened her eyes to find a dimmed light hanging over her head, a faint beeping can be heard near her but not that far away. She smacks her lips before licking them, feeling their cracked state on her tongue. It's like she's been sleeping for ages, she feels so heavy and drowsy. She lifts her left hand to rub her forehead but something restrains her. Slowly she turns her head and finds a strap across her wrists.

"What the hell--"

"Stephanie." A soft voice interrupts. Stephanie whips her head to the right and finds Tee looking at her with glossy eyes. "What the fuck is this?" Stephanie croaks out, her throat feeling like sand paper. She's so damn thirsty.

"Um..." Tee was lost for words. How do you tell your best friend that she was a danger to herself so they restrained her?

The room door opens, making Stephanie look around a little. A hospital, she recognized that she was in a hospital. She blinks a few times before looking back at the doorway which now holds Detective Dawson. "Glad to see that you're awake Stephanie." He comments, closing the door behind him. "What the hell is this?" she snaps, cutting straight to the point, "Why are these straps on me?"

Dawson looks to Tee exhausted, knowing that she was suppose to explain to Stephanie what happened and what will happen. Tee shakes her head at him, not strong enough to say those words. Dawson sighs, "Stephanie, you're in the psych ward at St. Agnes."

"Psych ward? I'm not crazy." Steph interrupts, narrowing her eyes in confusion and annoyance. Sure she had a moment of weakness, but whats new?! She's only human! She can work through her problems herself! Or so she thought.

Dawson steps closer, putting his hands in his pockets, "you were about to kill yourself less than 24 hours ago. That right there is enough to have you transported and admitted into the psych ward." "Okay, the moment has passed, let me out!" She exclaims, tugging at the restrains. "We can't do that. Not until you've been clinically proven to no longer be a threat to yourself or anyone else."

"Who the fuck gave you that authority!?" She shouts, her annoyance spilling into anger. "I did." Tee speaks up so quietly, Stephanie's eyes cutting to her. "Since you have no family, I stepped up and told them to admit you. I told them that you needed help."

"You such a fucking traitor! Who the fuck said that you can decide when I do or don't need help?! When I do or don't need to be put in a damn psych ward!? Who gave you the fucking right?!" She shouts, a vein appearing in her forehead from her exertion. Stephanie's face was red and she had a little spit sliding down the side of her mouth that she couldn't wipe. That just angered her even more. "Stephanie, you were prepared to kill yourself yesterday! How many times has someone stopped you from pulling the trigger and blowing your brains onto a wall!? How many times have you stopped yourself!?"

"Key words dumb ass: stopped myself! I don't need no one to help keep me alive! I'm a grown woman, I can do it myself. Now let me out of these damn straps." She demands. Tee shakes her head, "No." "No? That wasn't a fucking question, Telara! I'm telling you, let me out of these fucking straps you fucking traitor!" Dawson phone rings in his pocket and he pulls it out, seeing his partner is calling him. He steps in the hallway, ignoring the bickering best friends. He surely wouldn't miss Stephanie threatening to whip Tee's ass and Tee saying that this is for the best.

"Dawson." He answers, seconds later his partners voice flowing through the phone, telling him news that he knew would devastate Stephanie. "Are you sure he did it? Could it had been other inmates?" Dawson whispers, his tone in both disbelief and worry. His partner speaks again before ending the conversation.

Sliding his phone back in his pocket, Dawson stands there for a second. Then another second. Then another second. How would he tell this already broken girls this news? He knew she would be upset, that's a fact. Should he tell her? Is now the best time? Will it be Beneficial to her? What can the consequences be?

He clears his mind; he decided that there's no time better than the present. Turning towards the door, he pushes it open.