Barbecue

Your face still sore, you kept the ice pack on as Jared drove the two of you to Jensen's BBQ.  Zipping along the busy highway, Jared was humming slightly off key to the Pearl Jam song playing on the radio.

"I take it you're a Pearl Jam fan." You said, trying to take your attention off of your nerves and slightly aching cheek.

"Yep." He answered, giving you one of his megawatt smiles. "My all time favorite band."

"They are pretty cool." You answered, but truthfully your favorite band was_________. It was the right thing to say however, because he started going on about his favorite song, and the time he fangirled so hard when he met them. By the time he was pulling up in front of a nice house, you were laughing, the ice pack laying forgotten in the cup holder.

Looking up at the nice, two story house in front of you, you whistled. "Man, Jensen has some pretty nice taste."

"He does. But this isn't his. It's mine." Jared explained, and you raised an eyebrow at him. "Jensen just has an apartment in Vancouver, his main house is in Austin. So, when he decided we needed to have a BBQ, he decided he would host it, but at my house."

"This is yours?" You asked, as he pulled into the three car garage.

"Yeah. Well technically, it was Gen and mines, but now that she has the place in Texas, it's mine." He answered.

"It had to of been hard. Having to split everything up." You sympathized, but he just shrugged.

"It is what it is. She's happy now, and that's all that matters." He replied, not sounding sore about it. "I think we're both better off."

"Your happiness matters too." You told him, as he opened the garage door into his house. "And if that means with her, or without her, as long as you're happy."

Placing his large hand on your lower back, he guided you into the nicely decorated house. It had a very homey feel, with leather furniture, rugs, and a nice neutral color painted on the wall. "Can I tell you something?" He leaned down and whispered in your ear.

"Of course." You answered breathlessly, the heat of him against your back flustering you.

"I really wasn't. I felt lost. But then yesterday a beautiful woman smiled at me, and now I feel happier than I've been in a long time." He admitted, turning you to face him. With his hands still on your hips, you looked up at him, amazed at how fast everything seemed to be moving. Tilting your head up, you stared into his hazel eyes, amazed at how they showered some much emotion at you. 

"I'm glad I could be of help." Was all you could think to say, as his hands tightened against your hips.

"Jared, are you going to leave us out here all day?" Jensen yelled from the front door as he pounded against it. Sighing, Jared reached up, lightly cupping your still swollen cheek before guiding you to the front foyer. Opening the door, he stepped back, letting Jensen, Misha and Mark in.  "The rest will be here soon." Jensen announced, his hands full of grocery bags. Taking them from him, he turned and headed back out, going for more. Misha and Mark had their hands full of beer and alcohol.

"This way." Jared announced, leading you into the kitchen. Sitting the bags down, you glanced around the large room,  surprised at the well used feel to it. You had figured since he was now a bachelor, he lived on take out, but seeing his kitchen had you rethinking. It wasn't that it was messy, but there were no take out numbers on the fridge, and there were fresh seasonings on top of the stove. 

"Nice kitchen." You told him as you unpacked the bags. Jensen had brought plenty of food. Burgers and brats, ribs along with corn, already mixed potato salad, and a bunch of other items. "Wow, Jensen went all out."

"He always does." Jared said as he left the kitchen. Just then Jensen came back in, another bag of food in his hands. 

"Wow, how many people do you think you're feeding?" You teased him, as he grabbed the meat, ready to take it out to the BBQ.

"Well, Jared counts as at least four people, so we always need extra." He threw over his shoulder, and you followed him to the backyard. It was spacious, with a nice patio set up with built in fireplace and BBQ. Misha and Mark were already out there, Misha drinking a beer while Mark stuck to water.

Coming over to you, Misha glanced at your cheek. "Hopefully that clears up over the weekend. Otherwise makeup is going to have their hands full with you."

Playfully slapping him on the shoulder, you watched as more familiar people entered through the side gate. Staying off to the side a little bit, you watched as everyone interacted, giving hugs, or handshakes, looking friendly and comfortable with everyone. All you felt was awkward. All these people had known each other, some for many years. Yet you weren't good at opening up, and letting people in, and parties were always hard for you. 

"Y/N, you okay?" Jared spooked you as he came to stand next to you, your shoulder brushing his arm. Nodding, you took the chance to slip your arm through his, needing the comfort his touch provided.

"I'm just not good at these things." You admitted, watching as a group of boisterous men started throwing a football. Jensen was manning the BBQ, with Misha standing next to him. 

"Get togethers?" Jared asked, looking down at you. "They're easy. You just talk to people, get to know them."

Shrugging, you gave him a smile, even though it wasn't a hundred percent. "That's the problem. I'm not good at getting to know people. Unless it's you. I can open up to you."

Leaning down, he pressed his lips gently to yours, the catcalls of people noticing turning your cheeks a brilliant shade of red. 

It was a quick kiss, nothing more than his lips lightly touching yours. But when he pulled away, you instantly missed the contact. Giving you a wink, he headed over to the football game, just as Jensen came to stand next to you.

"Jared told me about your date last night." He started off. "I'm glad he's back out there, trying the dating scene again. I know he was worried, about the age difference. But I can see that you're good for him. That twinkle is back in his eye. So thank you for that. But please, I hope you aren't leading him on. He doesn't need that type of relationship right now."

Placing your hand on Jensen's shoulders, you comforted him. "It's more than that. I would never lead him on. I know it's early on, but I already care for him, a great deal."

"That's what I wanted to hear." He answered, before pulling you over to the BBQ. "Now you can help me get the food ready.""