Awkward Conversations

Frozen to your spot, you watched the interaction unfold between Jared, his kids and his ex wife. Not wanting to intrude, you thought about heading to the kitchen, joining Jensen and trying to hide. Before you could make a move, Jared was calling you over, a kid hanging off of each arm. 

Nervously, you walked over, hating this moment. Knowing that the woman he had first loved was sizing you up. She had a polite smile on, as she studied you closely. Stopping by Jared, you took a deep breath, before she held out her hand. "Hi, I'm Gen, but you probably already knew that by now. And you are?"

"Y/N." You answered, shaking her manicured hand as the boys clambered all over their dad like he was a playground. 

"This is Tom and Shep. Sorry, they don't usually act like this, but they haven't seen their dad in a while." She told you, laughing as Shep accidentally pulled his Dad's hair. "Why don't you and I sit down with a cup of coffee, let the boys get this out of their system.

"Hey boys." Jensen said, coming from the kitchen. Squealing, Tom raced over, jumping into Jensen's arms. Leaving them behind, Gen guided you down the hallway. Turning to Jared for help, he just shrugged his shoulders, before heading with his kids outside. Leaving you to the mercy of his ex wife.

You weren't sure what was going to happen, or what Gen was going to say, so you stayed silent as she moved around the kitchen, still familiar with the layout. "So, you're on the show with Jared and Jensen. Must be a lot of fun." She chattered as she poured the both of you coffee. Motioning to sit at the small kitchen table, she hands you one, cupping her hands around the other. 

"It is. Well at least it's starting too. At first it was awkward, and I was shy, but then Jared..." You started, breaking off because you weren't exactly sure what you wanted to say. What Jared wanted her to know. 

"Go on." She insisted, a soft smile on her beautiful face. And that's when it hit you. How could you follow someone who was so beautiful, and seemed to have a sweet heart to match. You were no where near her league, how could Jared even look at someone like you. "Listen." She said, stopping your thoughts flooded with emotions. "I know this can't be easy for you. Jared said the two of you were just barely starting a relationship. And then I show up, the ex wife, and you probably expect me to be something like the wicked witch. Am I right?" 

Nodding slightly, you took a sip of your coffee. "But Jared told me the two of you ended things amicably. So I really wasn't sure how this was all going to go down. And he didn't tell me last night you and the kids were stopping by. But I hadn't planned on spending the night. But it was a barbecue, and I had too much to drink, and Jared was nice to let me stay..." You blabbed on, not wanting her to think you were the type of girl to sleep with a man so early in your relationship.

She held her hands up, letting you know she wasn't making any hasty decisions. "Truthfully? I'm glad you were here. It's about time Jared finally started dating again. I was worried he was still hung up on me. And you seem like a nice enough girl. But what are you? Twenty five?"

"Twenty." You answered, knowing that was a huge difference in age.

"Wow." She answered. "You're so young. Jared knows how young you are, right?"

Nodding, you heard the kids laughing as they came in from outside. "Do you think it's going to be a big problem?"

"For the two of you no, but for the rest of the world, probably. Jared's in the public eye a lot, and their going to be scrutinizing his every move. And the fact you are so much younger than him will definitely be brought up."

You knew that, but hearing it from someone else made you wonder if dating Jared would be a good thing after all. You didn't want to cause him any trouble, and it was still so early in your career. "I know this isn't how things usually work, but I like you. So if you need anyone to talk to, don't be afraid to call me." She told you just as Jared and Jensen came walking in.

Standing up, Gen walked over, pressing a kiss to Jensen's cheek before kissing both of her boys. "You two be good for your daddy, and I'll see you on Monday."

"I'll drive you back." Jensen told her, waving by to you as he walked her out. 

"Isn't this a long way for her to come?" You asked Jared as the front door clicked shut.

"She comes up, drops the kids off and meets up with all of her friends. She usually enjoys it." He explained, as both of his kids looked up at you. 

Looking at Jared, you wondered if you should leave now, give him time with his kids. Turning you went to grab your purse, when he stopped you. "Y/N, I was thinking, if you don't mind that is. That maybe you could hang out with me and the boys today. Maybe go to the aquarium, eat dinner at this fun place  downtown. What do you say?"

It was hard to resist three pairs of beautiful eyes pleading with you, and with a smile, you nodded. "Sounds like a fun day."

Telling his boys to get ready to go, Jared waited until they were gone before he pulled you into his arms. "I know this is a lot to ask you, especially since we haven't been together very long. But I want the boys to get to know you. It would mean a lot to me."

Standing up on your tiptoes, you pressed your lips gently to his, the beginning of a beard tickling your smooth skin. "Then I would be honored to." You told him, just as the boys reappeared with their coats in their hands.