Chapter 26

The narrow pathway giggled at the tickling rendered by the pebbles and the soft thudding movement of a girl.

Arvika was jogging on the jittering pathway of Mussoorie, both the sides surrounded by tall eucalyptus and old oak. Her breath was getting heavy but she strived. The process of aerobic respiration suddenly became an unexplored exhilaration to her, giving her new zeniths of ecstasy and joy.

Dev was just a few steps distant from her; unknown to her, he was following in her footsteps, trying to ensure himself that she was not in any kind of trouble. He'd not care a bit if someone would call him a stalker for the same reason for he was following the steps of his beloved for her security and nothing was immoral in that.

****

Wild is natural, raw yet dangerous.

Arvika was in her own euphoric world enjoying the rejuvenated air, the breathtaking scenery and the earthly odour of her surroundings that she didn't notice a baby monkey leaping near her. Her feet halted unexpectedly but her heart was palpitating at the sudden intrusion of an unknown cute immigrant. The stupefaction was so intense that she didn't hear a piercing masculine exclamation from behind.

Soulful eyes amid sober brown fur, sat the baby monkey in quiet contemplation. He looked at Arvika with those eyes that held the power to liquefy even the glaciers. And suddenly, out of nowhere, he hugged her legs to never let go of her. Arvika stiffened at the monkey's way of tenderness and her breath hitched wondering what more could it do to her. Though she adored baby animals, getting a hug from them out of nowhere was not on the bucket list of her interaction with them for she was afraid of their scratches and clashes.

She loved animals' babies but followed the rules of 'social-distancing'.

Pure horror was transparent on her face.

She was horror-stricken for the bites, scratches and all the violence that she expected from a wild animal.

"No...no...go away. Shooooo," she muttered, her teeth cluttered and her body shuddered.

Dev hastened and got near her and then looked at the curious eyes of the baby monkey and then at his horrified love, Arvika. He couldn't control his laugh and started laughing at the dreadful state of Arvika.

"Hahahahaha....." He laughed uncontrollably and then Arvika realized Dev's presence and for the first time, she thanked God for sending him to her. He would help her, wouldn't he?

"Please remove him from there, please," she whispered in desperation not wanting any kind of brutality from the baby monkey. Dev somehow controlled his laughter and captured a beautiful picture of his sweetheart along with the cute monkey. He'd surely post it somewhere in the future. Maybe on 'world wildlife day'?

Dev hummed in response and then solemnly said, "Even a monkey couldn't resist your charms and you try to give lessons to me to stay away from you".

Arvika glared at him for bringing such a silly topic to such a grave moment. But her eyes immediately softened when she realized the earnestness of the situation where she was crossly webbed right now. Only Dev could save her now as she feared the monkey as if it would eat her up.

The baby monkey licked her legs and it was enough for Arvika to let out a loud cry which made Dev laugh more at her lolly Polly antics, "He loves you so much just like I do. Now I am jealous of him already, lucky monkey!".

"Please remove him," she pleaded again and prayed for her safety from that cute baby monkey, and Dev finally decided to kneel down to touch the monkey.

"My parents have given me such a good name, 'D.E.V' yet you keep calling me sir all the time. Firstly, promise me to call me by my name, then only I will remove him otherwise who knows he might bite you on your soft calves," he demanded and stood up again with his eyes shining with playfulness and gaiety. Dev knew the baby monkey won't do any violence yet he wanted to take full advantage of this beautiful circumstance that nature conspired in his favour. After all, negotiations and business were running in his blood.