Chapter 12

"So, you're the meritorious Arvika who had grabbed the full fee-waiver along with the other benefits," Manoj Parihar, the head of the administration office of Indian Institute of Engineering & Technology, Delhi voiced out, looking proudly at the girl who claimed herself to be Arvika Arya.

"Yes sir, here's my ID," Arvika replied, handing him her AADHAR card which had become the most basic identification card of any Indian.  

"Here, take this form, fill it and go to registration and fees department, get it properly verified and then self-attest it," the head gave her a form to fill which made her look at him puzzled!

"After that sir?" she was getting a vibe that it'd last longer than she had expected. So, her first class is flunked now, officially!

"I'll tell you, firstly do this," the head dismissed her, getting busy on his PC.

"Okay," Arvika mumbled to herself and started searching for the particular office which the head had talked about. After asking the peons, she got to know that it was on the fifth floor and fortunately, the lift too was not working today, how lucky she could be, her sarcasm got the best of her. 

After climbing almost hundreds of stairs which felt like climbing the Everest, finally, she reached the fifth floor with her already filled form in her hands. Moving towards the particular department, there she could see a lot of desks which were piled up with lots and lots of files and thick files, the typical Indian Government office, she sighed looking completely baffled, whom to ask for her work. Grabbing a little courage, she went near one of the female staff and coincidentally, she was the concerned officer of scholarships based issues. Lucky her!

"What's your father's name?" the staff was too strict to talk, Arvika deduced. 

"Chandrashekar Arya," Arvika replied in a monotonous way. 

"Mother's?"

"She's dead," Arvika had a bitter face by now, talking about her mother.

"Then what's your late mother's name?" the staff retaliated.

"I don't know".

"Are you stupid? Here, some joke is not going on, tell it properly or you'll be debarred right at this moment," the loud voice of the lady got the attention of her fellow colleagues who too were looking at Arvika oddly. 

"Mam, I don't have any mother, she died long back and my father is missing, how can I know about all this? I have grown up in an orphanage, I just somehow know about my father's name and nothing else," Arvika exasperated out in an impatient tone, her eyes red due to the fury that was boiling within her. 

"Then what have you written in your class tenth and twelfth certificate?" the staff counterattack at her, not liking the way this girl was talking against her.

"If you are an orphan, then that place of mother or father is left blank or 'unknown' is written there ma'am, or if someone is the die-hard worshipper of God Shiva & Goddess Gauri, they write their name as their parents, but neither I have faith on God nor am I a complete orphan, I still know my father's name, right? So, it's written well, and here, this is the declaration letter by the orphanage where I had lived, just for the sake of verification of my date of birth," Arvika threw her hand on the table, shaking it a little along with the one who was sitting against it, yes, the same lady staff who was looking at her shockingly along with her other like-minded colleagues. Arvika had literally thrown the letter at the staff's face, that much was the intensity of her rage. 

"Okay, okay, I get it, here take this form and get it signed by our director along with the admission letter self-attested with it and don't forget to add a passport-sized photo of yours in the front, here's the stapler," the lady immediately started doing all the needed document-works of Arvika and after it was done, she gave the papers to Arvika, giving her a small smile in the end.