Chapter 5

Women are expected not to share their monthly periods with boys, not even their fathers or brothers, forget about close male friends. Because it's a bad thing and shushes! Lips-tight, mouths closed, with their own secret mission to hide this biological fact from them, trying their best not to give any idea or hint about what they have to go through every month till eternity, alas!

Dev had acquired knowledge about periods and related matters through discussions with friends and the vast expanse of the internet. On that particular day, the realization had struck him with profound sadness-the burden that girls must bear each month, enduring not only physical pain but also the weight of societal pressures and taboos that have plagued them since birth. From that moment onward, he vowed never to cause harm to any innocent girl, even unintentionally. Perhaps he possessed a maturity beyond his years, or perhaps it was simply his innate innocence shining through.

Armed with this understanding, Dev found himself able to assist his beloved as she writhed in agony from her first menstrual flow, marking the onset of her puberty-a moment that tugged at his heartstrings.

"I've brought the pads; now, how do I explain to her how to use them?" Dev muttered to himself upon entering the room, where his sister and Arvika anxiously awaited the arrival of the much-needed pads.

"Bhaiya, you're finally here. Thank goodness," Sakshi exclaimed with relief as she caught sight of her brother, clutching a paper bag.

"How is she?" Dev inquired anxiously, scanning the room for his beloved, who was nowhere to be seen-likely still in the washroom, he inferred.

"She's in pain, but it's not as intense as before," Sakshi replied, feeling a bit edgy discussing such private matters, particularly regarding feminine hygiene.

"Here, take my phone and, umm... look up how to use these," Dev said, his own discomfort evident. Sakshi offered a nervous smile to Dev before accepting his phone and the paper bag, understanding his silent plea for assistance in helping Arvika.

"Password is 7078," he even disclosed his password to her which he had never done before! Forget about password sharing, he hadn't even let her touch his phone, but now he himself was giving her his phone along with his password, making Sakshi a little shocked, she hadn't seen this side of him, ever.

"If you weren't here, I don't know what would've happened. Thank you so much, Bhaiya," she embraced her brother tightly before making her way towards the washroom, the packet of pads clutched in her hand along with his phone. Dev turned towards the window, his gaze fixed upon the majestic mountains visible from the glass pane.

"Arvika, here, take this," Sakshi gently tapped on the washroom door, alerting her best friend of her presence. Arvika, startled, quickly stood up from the commode, securing her towel around her torso, and approached the door, opening it slightly.

"Here's the pad and take this phone. Open YouTube and search how to wear a pad," Sakshi whispered softly as she handed over the items. Arvika glanced at Dev, who stood by the window, his back turned to her.

'So, he bought these,' she thought to herself, expressing her gratitude to Sakshi before closing the door. Arvika's mind buzzed with thoughts about Dev, who now presented a different image compared to his previous bad-boy persona.

1st encounter - Funny bully!

2nd encounter - Funny clown!

3rd encounter - A gentleman!

Today, he had shown her a side she hadn't expected. Despite his rough exterior and rumours about him being a bully, he had a compassionate heart, coming to her aid in her most vulnerable moment.