Chapter 8

Dev was engulfed by a turbulent sea of remorse, guilt, and distress, his emotions swirling like an uproar within. He found himself unable to express the turbulent events of the past, shackled by the weight of his mother's disapproval. The vice-principal's relentless campaign to stoke his mother's wrath and satisfy her wounded ego left Dev feeling utterly helpless, trapped in a web of consequences he could scarcely comprehend.

After getting her shifted to the particular Gynaecology ward, with proper doctors operating on her, all the family members as well as Mrs. Sarita were outside the room, waiting for the wellness of Arvika when something drastic and life-changing was announced by none other than Arvika's stepfather.

"Arvika will be sent to some boarding school as well," Mr. Srivastav had announced, opening his mouth for the first time after their arrival here in Ooty.

Dev felt the weight of despair pressing down on him, crushing the last glimmers of hope he held dear. Like a ship lost at sea, he found himself adrift in a vast expanse of emptiness, where the promise of a future with his beloved had vanished into the abyss of nothingness.

Love is truly a struggle, it is full of pain, suffering, and a lot of other deep emotions which couldn't be understood unless you've lived through it.

"Mrs. Kapoor, I am going to leave for the resort, even we need to cancel our trip because of such awful circumstances, but once we are in Mumbai, meet me once with Dev and Arvika in principal ma'am's office, we need to discuss many things," and finally the middle-aged lady left the chair on which she was relaxing, after getting a call from Mr. Abhinav, her co-teacher regarding their travel back to Mumbai. For sure she was a teacher but she hadn't a heart to feel for the pain of her students and their tragic lives.

Teachers like her were just teaching to sustain their lives and fill their tummies, and currently seeing the scenario of the Indian education system, such a good number of teachers like her are in abundance now, for whom teaching is a way for making money rather than building children's career.

"Finally, she's gone," Kamaljit murmured under his breath, approaching his son who was standing with his head bowed, eyes heavy with unshed tears, fixated on the ground below. The Kapoor and Srivastav families occupied chairs a few feet from Arvika's ward, while Dev and Sakshi remained standing, their faces etched with distress and anxiety, consumed by worry for Arvika and her fragile state.

They were unaware of the extent to which Mrs. Sarita had poisoned their parents' minds against them, but it was evident that she had spared no effort in seeking retribution against Dev.

"Son, don't worry, everything will be fine," Kamaljit whispered while taking his son into his arms, trying to soothe his sixteen-year-old son who was more like a best friend to him.

"Dad, I am sorry for whatever you have to face today, but my intentions were not wrong, please understand," in the solace of his father's embrace, Dev had broken down completely, venting down all his pent up emotions that he had not showcased in front of his teacher.

"Hush now, son, everything will be alright. And, I trust you," Kamaljit whispered soothingly, cradling his sobbing son in his arms.

Boys rarely cry and boy as ferocious and tough-shell as Dev was crying now, over a girl. Truly love could change a person, it could take out the rawest of emotions of a person that he had hidden from all since time immemorial.

"I don't want to lose her, Dad, I don't want her to be away from me," Dev's Adam's apple bobbed up and down, while tears didn't stop its voyage down his cheeks.

"Dev," witnessing her son's distressing state, Devika approached him and enveloped him in her arms. She gently ruffled his hair, a gesture that usually brought him comfort. However, today was different. Today, there was no ordinary stress to soothe, but rather a daunting crisis looming over him, challenging him to fight for his love.