3 - Overexposure

In which a party is attended, and nearly regretted.

You

You burst through the kitchen door at a near-run, and as soon as it closes, hiding you from the view of the dining room, you begin gesticulating excitedly, as if the thrill is so powerful you just can't keep your arms still. "Roxy! Roxy, Roxy!" You loop your arm through your friend's, pulling her away from a cutting board with a half-chopped onion on it.

"Whoa, watch it!" she laughs. "No manhandling people with knives! What's got you so excited all of a sudden?"

"You have to come to this party with me," you say, giddy with an odd mix of exhilaration and anxiety.

"Honey, you know I'm always up for a party, but what's got your panties in a bunch? You're supposed to be the sensible one!"

"How's this for sensible?" You release her so you can face her head-on rather than standing side-by-side. "It's a housewarming for some monsters."

Roxy's eyes widen and a delighted grin spreads across her face. "Oh, honey, I'm so happy for you!" She throws her arms around you in a hug and, once she's latched onto you, jiggles up and down in an ecstasy of enthusiasm. Roxy knows about your dream to meet a monster; your curiosity is a thing of legend, and the thought of a strange new people from a long-lost part of the world has been a focal point for your spirit of inquiry for almost a year. This housewarming will be more than an opportunity to make some interesting new friends, which, to you, is not in itself enough of an attraction to overcome the awkwardness of being surrounded by strangers. The real reason for your attendance will be to satisfy your curiosity, at least a little, about the mysterious and magical newcomers to your world. Talking to them while you're working is difficult and distractive, and trying to fit as many questions as you can into the little time you have right now would probably make them very uncomfortable. Nobody wants to be grilled in a rapid-fire fashion by the serving staff while they're trying to enjoy a meal.

Roxy finally releases you, and a madcap image pops into your head of yourself continuing to bounce cartoonishly up and down for a moment after she lets you go. You chuckle. Roxy says, "Of course we'll go together! It'll be soooo much fun!"

"Just promise you'll keep me from making an ass of myself," you entreat.

"Baaaabe," Roxy whines in false frustration, "That's what parties are FOR!"

"Aaaaand we're back to our normal dynamic," you snort, rolling your eyes. Roxy giggles.

* * * * *

The air is cold and crisp. Your breath crystallizes into a vaporous mist on contact with it, puffing out in front of you in tiny clouds. It snowed a little bit last night, and your steps crunch on the sidewalk. The sun sparkles on the freshly-fallen snow in glittering hues of golden iridescence. And your back is killing you.

"Why are we walking there, again?" you complain, adjusting your grip on the large box containing your housewarming present for your new acquaintances.

"'Cause it's only three blocks from work," Roxy laughs. "You've asked that twice already. Now cowgirl up and haul that heifer!"

"It's not the weight; it's the damn unwieldy nature. If you haven't noticed, I'm basically bending over backwards to balance this thing. Besides, your box is only a third the size of mine, so shut up. Just shut up."

Roxy giggles. "You really think they need a toaster oven big enough for a small pizza?"

You huff, only partially because of your burden. "It's a toaster AND an oven. It's the perfect gift! But only if you can fit a proper lunch in it. Anyway, look who's talking. You got them an ice cream maker."