8 - To Burn Down a World

In which a combination of grief and nightmares leads to a slightly awkward morning.

Sans

We hold Checkers while she cries. Again. She doesn't deserve this; she's a good girl and she doesn't deserve it. I tried to argue with the Griggs lady, but when I got more demanding so did she, and then I started to raise my voice and Checkers put her hand on my arm, and when she touched me the frisson shut down my brain. Goddammit; I really am too close to this girl. But at this point I don't know how to be any farther away from her. I stayed away for more than a week, and I was pretty ok with it, but in the past couple days of being around her, I've become completely...

Addicted.

Shit.

I think my yelling scared her a little; I don't often get angry and I don't think Checkers has ever seen me that upset. I'm feeling pretty guilty about the face she made. I know when I get serious about stuff, something about it seems to make people nervous, but I hope Checkers knows I'd never hurt Mrs. Griggs. She's a weak old human lady. Takin' a shot at her wouldn't be any kind of fair. So instead, we went back into the apartment, and Checkers broke down and started sobbing.

We're all sitting on the couch, with Checkers between me and Paps. I'm running my hand over her back in little circles while she cries into my clavicle. Paps is hugging us both and looks like he's about to cry, himself. 'Course, Paps never could stand silence, so he eventually decides to break it.

"DON'T WORRY, MISS (Y/N), YOU WILL COME TO LIVE WITH US! WE WILL TURN THE STUDY INTO A BEDROOM! SANS NEVER STUDIES, ANYWAY!"

Checkers giggles and sniffles at the same time. She pulls away from me, wiping her eyes, smiling weakly. "Thanks, guys. I might just take you up on that, at least for a little while." She looks around the apartment, taking what seems like a last look at the place she's lived all her life.

"checkers..." I start, but then I can't figure out how to finish. I'm sorry isn't enough, it'll be okay isn't true, and I can't come up with a way to help her keep her place without resorting to intimidation or blackmail, and like I said, I'm not gonna seriously take on a little old lady. "tell us how to help," I finish. "anything you need. honestly."

Checkers smiles again. "I could use some more wine," she quips. That's my girl. I take her glass from the coffee table and move to stand up, but she's hanging onto my hoodie and when I move, her hands tighten, seemingly unconsciously. It just about breaks my heart. I hand the glass to Paps instead, and he goes to refill it, while I pull Checkers back into me. She leans against my chest and sighs. I'm struck suddenly by the amount of physical contact I've had with Checkers, and by the fact I'm getting pretty comfortable with it. Checkers doesn't seem to be a touchy-feely person, on the whole, but I'm starting to realize that for some reason her boundaries are much less strict where I'm concerned. She's always touching me, leaning on me, taking my arm, etc. Dunno why she does it. She knows Paps better than she knows me, and he loves to touch and hug people, so why me? And, uh, why don't I mind it?

After a moment I realize I've started carding my fingers through her hair.

It's so soft.

It smells really good, too.

I think...

Uhh...

I think I may have a little crush.

Paps comes back with the wine, and Checkers sits up, pulling away from me, to take it. I let her go, of course, but I have to concentrate to do it. My body just seems to want to stay in contact with hers, and I have to fight to keep from clinging to her. I can't believe myself right now. My friend needs help and support, and I'm... I'm just...