17 - Worth It

In which realizations are made and decisions reached, but not without concession to necessary sacrifices.

Sans

Tori's invited us all to her place for New Year's Eve. New year, huh? Again. I'm having a hard time processing it. This'll be the second new year I've rung in since the last reset. It feels surreal. I'm pretty sure after midnight I'll have the overwhelming urge to keep asking people what year it is. Hope I don't give in to it; don't need another thing added to my friends' "weird Sans shit" list. Checkers has already noticed that I obsessively check the calendar. She's threatened to get me a watch that shows the date. I kinda like the idea. But, shit, what if it stops? Damn thing'd give me a heart attack.

Tomorrow's New Year's Eve. I feel kinda jittery about it.

The kids that were arrested after that boy got hurt have all been released back to their families. From what I heard, the cops had the right idea about the situation even if the news stations didn't. Snowy told me he got the sternest talking-to of his life and was threatened with jail time if he got into any more fights.

That oughta keep him out of trouble for about a week.

Speaking of trouble with the law, Checkers has actually written on her new calendar, "report Rob to police" on January 2nd. I asked her about it and it turns out he's been harassing her since before Christmas. He sent her a text tonight that made her drop her phone and kick it across the room. I think the kick might have been accidental. I went to pick it up for her, but she shouted "no!" a bunch of times and grabbed it away from me. I asked her what it was, and she stammered out that he'd sent her pictures of his wang. I tried to let my outrage show on my face while keeping all the inquisitiveness off it: I can guess what she meant, more or less, and it pisses me off. More than that, I'm getting a real bad feeling about this whole Rob situation. I'd like to do something about it, but I figure at a time like this it's best to leave things to the human authorities. Still, from now on, I'm walking her home.

At the same time, this whole thing brought up the question again: where do baby humans come from? So here I am, kitchen table, middle of the night, laptop open in front of me, deciding to finally answer that.

The first thing I do is Google "wang."

I get a computer company, some fashion thing, and a bunch of asian humans' contact info.

"Human reproduction" gives me some technical stuff that's easy enough to understand, but without pictures it's kinda hard to imagine. It sorta sounds boring and clinical. It can't really be like that, right?

So I click on "images."

Oh goddammit.

I don't have one of those.

Suddenly I wish I hadn't bothered. Couldn't I have, you know, waited a while? Just a couple more days of hoping that maybe, maybe we'd be compatible? Despite the obvious differences, humans are pretty close to skeletons in terms of looks. There are a lot of different types of monsters, and physically, they've all got different ways of... well, you know. But all of us can soulbond, and I may've been sorta hoping... Shit. I know it's way too early to be thinking about that sort of thing, but every time I look at her lately, my soul does a jig in my ribcage, and there's only so much of this I can take before fantasies happen. She didn't seem to recognize the glow of my soul when I fuckin' shone in front of her like a horny teenager, but I guess I told myself maybe she was just sheltered or something? Aah, I dunno.

At least she doesn't lay eggs. We can bond over the fact that neither of us lay fuckin' eggs.

I bang my head on the table, quietly, so as not to wake Checkers and Paps. It hurts a little, and somehow suddenly reminds me that I've gotten waaaay ahead of myself here. Shit, Checkers is just a friend.