14 - Breaking Glass

In which a fragile peace is disrupted.

You

"I dunno, (Y/N), sounds to me like things are going great." Roxy leans against the door to the freezer, fiddling with her phone. It looks like she's texting someone.

"I guess they kind of are," you concur reluctantly, picking at the dirt under your nails. It's near closing time, and the night's been so slow you've been able to get all your cleaning done early. You and Roxy will be able to leave together at 10 p.m., provided no other customers come wandering in. You've been spending the blessed downtime telling your friend all about your new living situation. Though you're refusing stubbornly to let yourself feel at home, Papyrus and Sans have wasted no time in pulling you into their daily routines. You've been living with them for only two days, but you've already settled into the patterns of the household. Mornings start with Papyrus making breakfast. The two of you eat while you discuss your plans for the day. Halfway through the meal, Sans shuffles in, looking rumpled, and pours himself a cup of coffee. Before he's had his caffeine, Sans is only semi-coherent.

His morning voice is low and husky. Though he rarely speaks before he's fully awake, when you do get to hear it, that voice makes things low in your body tighten and gives you the uncomfortable feeling that you're on the verge of something huge, exciting, and totally inappropriate. You do your best to shut down your reaction each time, but you've been meeting with only limited success.

You haven't told Roxy that you might have feelings for Sans. You're not comfortable talking about it, not even to your best friend. Honestly, as long as all this remains unspoken, you can tell yourself it's not happening, or that it's not important.

You don't want to have a crush on Sans. He's too good a friend. You could ruin that all too easily.

In addition, to your embarrassment, you're not sure how to feel about him being a different species. If you're human and he's not, does this... Sans thing... make you some kind of pervert? Should you... God. Should you be having those kinds of thoughts about a literal skeleton?

Of course, you think Roxy and Grillby are cute together. You harbor no interspecies romance reservations where those two are concerned. Isn't that a bit of a double standard? Why do you expect so much of yourself? Or are you just afraid of having to deal with other people's reactions?

Well, at least one person already thinks you're dating Papyrus, and is being an absolute dickweed about it. So right now you're getting some of the repercussions of being with a monster while having gained none of the benefits.

That's a discouraging thought.

By that logic, you should probably jump Sans's bones when you get home.

You feel your face heat up at the unwelcome turn your thoughts have taken. Are still taking. Are sort of taking over. ... How long is this going to continue?! You shake your head, trying to clear it, and pray to god Roxy can't see your thoughts on your face.

"So why do you talk about it all like it's a burden?" Roxy asks, continuing the conversation. Her phone chirps. She checks the message and giggles.

"It's not a burden," you protest. "It's been great! It's me, I'm the burden!" You bury your face in your hands. That's right, you've got enough to worry about without adding a questionable romance into the mix. One thing at a time.

Roxy walks up next to you and pats you on the shoulder, humoring you with a patient show of sympathy she doesn't really feel. "As long as you're at it, you should get them to buy you some stuff."