15 - Quaint 'n' Quirky

In which good intentions aren't enough, and in which careful forethought is flummoxed by primitive technology.

Sans

I check my pockets once more before I head out. A little cash, burner phone, pocket mirror, nice bright LED flashlight, taser, empty thumb drive, little pot of Vicks VapoRub. I won't need much, and I don't expect to have any trouble tonight. This'll be a quick errand, in-and-out, no mess, no fuss. I've never been to the town, so I'll need to get a ride partway. No, I'm NOT taking the convertible. It doesn't exactly blend in, and worse, it's easily identifiable. The last thing I wanna do is get Paps in trouble. Once I'm close to the scene, I'll be able to 'port in short hops until I get inside. If I can't avoid or blind the security camera outside the store, then I plan to take it out, but since I don't know if there are any inside, or where they are, I'll have to keep my hood up and wear... the Thing.

The Thing is a little something I picked up last Halloween, as sort of a joke. It's a kinda-creepy full-head mask with a wide, stitched-looking smile and big black eye sockets. Some cartoon skeleton character from an old movie, I think. Anyway, it got a few laughs that year, and then I stuck it in my sock drawer and haven't taken it out since. There's a permanent crease in it now. Oh well. I put the Thing on, pull my hood over it, and check myself out in the mirror. Pretty good. Not perfect, but it'll do. I'm wearing a red and black hoodie, jeans, sneakers, and gloves tonight. The outfit covers me from head to foot, hiding my bones from view. If I am caught on camera, I want to look like a human, and I don't want to be seen wearing clothes folks'll recognize.

Well, some monsters might recognize me anyway, but I doubt any humans will.

There's a sudden knock at my door and I jump.

"Sans?"

I open the door for Checkers, who's wringing her hands nervously on the other side. She gives me a disbelieving stare.

"Jack Skellington? Really?"

I shrug and pull the mask off, hood sliding to my shoulders in the same motion. "only mask i own."

Checkers sits down on my bed. "I put Papyrus to bed. He's really worried."

I don't know what to say to that. I cough a little and venture, "thanks for taking care of him. i'll see him in the morning. maybe we can talk it out."

"Sans..." Checkers wrings her hands again and hesitates. "Sans, are you sure this is important enough to maybe go to jail for?"

My soul flutters in my chest at the worry in her voice. I sit on the bed beside her. She leans against my side.

"it's important," I say simply, looking at my knees. "i won't get caught."

"Then... is there anything I can do to help?" I look over at Checkers in surprise. Her face is pale, but her mouth is set in a firm line and her eyes are fiercely determined.

I chuckle quietly, and before I've really thought about it, I lean over and place a soft kiss on her cheek. She startles and blinks at me, a blush spreading across her face. I can feel my own face burning as well. I surprised myself as much as I did her. Goddammit, Sans. I slouch back casually and force out the words, "nah, this is nothing. i'll see you in the morning, promise."

I meant it to be the end of the discussion, but Checkers is too smart to let it go at that.

"So you're going to go get the security footage," she says. "Won't the police have it? Isn't that too dangerous a place to break into?"