10 - History

In which the realization that your friends had lives before you met them causes a not-insignificant amount of suffering.

You

Christmas Eve comes amidst a flurry of activity and events, only some of which you have any control over. Rob started purchasing burner phones after you blocked his number, using them to text you with angry and inappropriate things. You finally took Sans's advice and reported him to your boss. He was subsequently fired. He's still texting you, so you plan to report him to the police after Christmas, but right now, there's too much to deal with to worry about pressing harassment charges. You haven't told Sans about it, either. Something tells you the small skeleton may take steps of his own, and you don't want him to get into trouble. This is a special concern of yours because monsters don't yet have any legal rights, and aside from Sans having no protection under the law, if he creates a negative incident, it might impact the rights talks.

Roxy has been tied up in her own holiday plans recently: she lives in a large farm house outside of town with her parents, one grandparent, and five siblings. It's a rowdy crowd and big holidays like Christmas require a lot of prep work. You've seen her at the café, but there's been no opportunity to spend time together as friends recently. It's a lack you've felt every year around this time since you and Roxy were kids. You'll make up for it with a sleepover sometime in January, as always, but right now, you miss her.

Sans and Papyrus have been in and out all day, setting up for the party. You're having it on Christmas Eve so that you can spend Christmas Day relaxing in your pajamas in keeping with holiday tradition. The skelebros are setting up a buffet in the kitchen, and Toriel has been by a couple of times as well, bearing desserts including a butterscotch-cinnamon pie that smells divine. It's apparently a specialty of hers. You can't get over the fact that the queen of the monsters is baking for your Christmas party.

You also can't get over how close she and Sans seem to be.

You didn't get to see them interact much at the housewarming because Sans was being attentive to you, but now you're able to watch them together, and darned if it isn't the cutest thing. They share a love for puns and terrible jokes that almost defies belief, and Toriel's tendency to laugh loudly and easily is something Sans clearly finds flattering. They always seem to be conversing, and though they're both taking time to talk to you as well, you're beginning to feel the weight of the history these people share, a history you'll never be a part of.

Sans and Toriel are adorable together.

You wish you could be happy about that.

"My child," Toriel says, interrupting your train of thought. She lays a large, soft hand on your shoulder. "I know we have not had much opportunity to get to know one another, but you seem... troubled. Forgive me if I'm overstepping my bounds, but I wish to make sure everything is all right."

You shake your head, smiling a little. "Sorry, Toriel, my mind's just wandering." You pat her hand gently, and she removes it from your shoulder, but continues to look concerned.

"I do not wish to pry, but if there is something bothering you, and if there is anything I can do for you, please do not hesitate to ask. I would very much like for us to be friends."

Friends. Something about the word stings a little. You can't put your finger on what it is that's bothering you, and that makes you feel awkward and guilty. Toriel has been nothing but kind to you, and you would very much like to be friends with her as well. But if you'll never be as close to her as Sans is...