Best Friend

You were walking down the street, on your way to school. You kept your head low as you approached the building. You sighed. You hated school and the people in it. The only thing that made this place better was your best friend, Mark. He was popular, and you were not. He helped you through everything, and you practically owed your life to him. You've had a small crush on him ever since you first saw him. You lifted your head up to see him running up to you. You were startled when he picked you up and spun you around.

"HELLO BEAUTIFUL!" He exclaimed as he spun you.

You giggled as he gently set you down.

"Today is such a great day, isn't it (Y/N)?"

You nodded. You thought every day was terrible, but you couldn't tell him that. You two walked into the school. You kept your head hung a little low as you opened your locker. Mark ran off to his friends at their lockers. You put your earbuds in your ear and nodded your head to the music. You grabbed your books and turned around to find Mark behind you smiling, hands behind his back.

"Mark? What are you hiding?"

He giggled as he pulled a small bouquet of flowers from behind his back. Blush tinted your cheeks as you thanked him with a hug.

"You just looked like you were having a bad day."

"This is why you are my best friend," you said into his chest.

Little things like this made your heart melt. Mark knew how you hated school, and how you were bullied in it. He tried to make it a little bearable any way he could. You both pulled away and smiled. You walked towards class and heard Mark's friends teasing him behind you.

"Markimoo got himself a girlfriend," one teased.

"She's not my girlfriend," Mark replied.

"Just ask her out already. Everyone knows you like her."

You stopped dead in your tracks as those words registered in your mind. "He likes me?"  You thought. You turned around to go to Mark, but instead you were met face to face with none other than Stacy, the most popular girl in school and also the meanest. She bullied you daily, and all you could do was take it.

"Aw, such pretty flowers!" She exclaimed as she grabbed them. "A nobody like you doesn't deserve them." She spat in your face. She examined the flowers as she smirked at you. You tried in vain to grab them, and she threw them to the ground. She stomped her heels on them a few times while you watched in horror. She smiled at you when she was finally satisfied with her deed. She flipped her hair and walked away. You fell to your knees as hot tears burned at your eyes. You let them fall as you picked up your damaged flowers. Unbeknown to you, Mark witnessed the whole thing and was now kneeling in front of you. He gripped your shaky hands, forcing you to look up. His chocolate eyes were filled with concern as he pulled you into a hug.

"Don't worry, she's just a b*tch. You didn't deserve that. And you're not a nobody. You're somebody to me. Someone beautiful, sweet, and deserving of the best love." He kissed your forehead as his words resonated sweetly in your ears.

You looked up into his eyes and hugged him again before getting up. You were about to head to class when he gripped your arm.

"(Y/N)? I know you want to get to class, but I have to tell you something." He nervously rubbed the back of his neck. "I-I like you, (Y/N). I've liked you ever since we met in the hallway after you had been pushed down by those damn bullies. You're so gorgeous, and you don't even know it. I love how you shyly smile when we're together. If I could, I would spend every moment of every day with you."

Your eyes widened as his words registered in your ears.

"I've been waiting so long- too long at that- to ask you this. Would you be my girlfriend?"

Internally, you were jumping up and down. Your heart was beating so fast and all you wanted to do was kiss him. So you did. You pulled him closer until your noses were practically touching. Mark looked at you with shock and wonder. You smiled at him as you leaned closer and kissed him. He kissed you back, and you two soon pulled away.

"So, I'm going to take that as a yes?" Mark chuckled.

You giggled as you intertwined your fingers with his. "Yes, I do believe that was a yes."