I Choose You

You shuffled down the street as the wind swirled leaves around you. You welcomed the autumn breeze as it played with your hair that sat loosely on your shoulders. You sighed as you neared a cafe. You slowed down until you eventually stopped in front of the large windows of the shop. A single tear rolled down your cheek as you remembered what happened a year ago.

--------------------

Mark intertwined his fingers with yours as you two strolled down the street. Your heart was happy. You would've been sad, but you were very excited that Mark had picked you instead of that other girl. You two had been practically fighting over him, and at the end of all of it, he chose you. 

You gave Mark a huge smile as he walked you up to your doorstep.

"Thank you," you whispered in his ear as he lightly kissed your neck,"for choosing me."

He stopped and lifted his head to be eye to eye with you.

"How could I not choose an amazingly gorgeous girl like you?"

You smiled as you pressed your lips against his. He kissed you back and you both kissed passionately for a few minutes. Finally, you pulled away for air and smiled.

"Wanna come inside? I know how cold it can get out here. I can warm you up," you said with a wink.

Mark smiled back at you and replied, "Maybe another time, sweetheart. I have to get going."

You sensed sadness in his voice as you gave him one final kiss goodnight. You slipped into your house as you watched Mark walk away. You closed the door and pressed your back against it. You sighed as you let your body slide down the door and reach the floor. You smiled ear to ear as you thought about your night.

---

You tried to sleep, but couldn't. All you could think about was Mark. You craved him as you tossed and turned. Finally, you decided to go to him. You snatched up your coat as you slipped on your shoes. Mark's house wasn't that far away, and you didn't mind admiring the city lights as you walked. You strolled down the street passing people as you went. You couldn't stop smiling as you thought of what Mark's reaction would be. You looked up to see that you were nearing a coffee shop that marked a halfway point between your house and Mark's. You smiled as the scent of coffee wafted your nose. You looked in the window of the shop, just like any other time. But this time something was different. Your smile dropped as you blinked a couple of times in disbelief of what you saw. Mark and the other girl were sitting in a booth at the coffee shop.

"Maybe he's just telling her goodbye," you thought trying to stay hopeful.

You figured that if the girl saw you and Mark together she would be intimidated and leave. You marched into the shop and slid in next to Mark in the booth. His face was filled with horror and shock.

"Hey babe," you said as you pecked Mark's lips.

He sat there speechless as the girl crossed her arms and gave you a disgusting look. She cleared her throat.

"Don't you mean my boyfriend. He chose me, now f*ck off."

You snapped your head towards the girl as confusion and anger clouded your mind.

"No, b*tch. He's mine. He picked me."

Mark frantically tried to prevent a potential fight. "Now, ladies, I'm sure we can work this out. This must just be a big misunderstanding."

"The only misunderstanding is that this girl can't get it in her head that you don't want her," you spat out.

"Oh, really? You know, Mark has always told me about how dumb you are."

You reached over the table and grabbed her shirt to pull her close. You raised your hand to slap her, but Mark stopped you.

"Stop it! Please stop! Neither of you did anything wrong!"

It was then that it hit you and the other girl. "You know what, Mark, you're right. We're not wrong, you are. Wanna explain?" You asked as the other girl nodded along.

Mark gulped as he realized his situation. "I-I-I, uh-"

"Yeah that's what I thought," you huffed as you and the girl slid out of the booth. Tears filled your eyes as you walked out of the shop. Your emotions overwhelmed you, so you decided to run. You ran and ran until you reached your house. You fumbled with your keys as your vision blurred with tears. Mark had followed you home to apologize and explain himself, and he watched in sadness as he heard your muffled curses slip past your lips as you fidgeted with the keys.

"Stupid son of a b*tch. Why did I ever fall for such a f*cking douchebag?" You mumbled as you finally unlocked your house. It was then that you heard Mark sniffle behind you. Regret slammed your heart as you wished to take back the words you just said. You slowly turned around to face him. You dried your tears and crossed your arms.

"What do you want? Haven't you already done enough? You already stole my heart and crushed it, what else could you possibly need?!"

Mark sniffled. "I-I'm sorry. Really, I am, (Y/N). I'm sorry for being a douche to you. When you saw me in the coffee shop with that girl, I can understand how mad you may be-"

"How mad I may be? Mark, do you not understand how much I love you? Of course I would be mad if you just told me you chose me, but I see you with another woman!"

"Let me explain. I didn't have the chance to tell her I chose you. I was just about to tell her when you walked in. She didn't know that I chose you, that's why she reacted that way. I'm so sorry for causing you this pain. It kills me to see you heart broken, (Y/N). I'm so sorry. I understand if you never want to see me again. I did drag you and her along when I was undecided on who I wanted."

You ran down your doorsteps and into Mark's arms. Tears streamed down your cheek as you squeezed him.

"How could I not want you? I love you, dammit," you whispered in his ear.

"I love you, (Y/N)."

--------------------

You snapped back to reality as Mark ran up to you and pecked your cheek. He noticed your tear and dried it with his thumb.

"What's wrong, babe?"

"I was just thinking about that night a year ago that I almost lost you."

"Babe, you had me from the start. There was no way you would lose me. I chose you, and I made a damn good choice," he said as he pressed his lips on yours.

[ This prolly sucks lol]