Chapter Five | Our Hearts

Elijah sets up a picnic while Laura admires the scenery around them.

"It is beautiful, Elijah".

He looks at her with a smile "As are you". A blush rises on her cheeks at his flattery.

"So do you have any family" She asks curiously, walking over to him where the picnic is now set up.

"Yes but I am afraid that of right now, we rarely talk". Elijah stares into the distance, thinking of some other time.

Her voice snaps him out of his thoughts. "What are they like?".

"Well, most of them are selfish, stubborn and annoying but they have their moments".

"Any favourites?". She asks with a giggle.

"My sister Rebekah, although she falls in love everyday, she is kind and loyal to our family". Laura nods her head as he continues. "I have a brother, Klaus who is stubborn and extremely rash with his words and actions".

"Seems like trouble".

"Yes" Elijah says with firm nod of his head. "What about your family?".

"I have a younger sister and brother, both of them are kind but my sister can be annoying sometimes".

Elijah chuckles, moving closer "You have beautiful eyes Laura".

"So are yours but they are full of wisdom and loyalty" Laura says with a grin. He looks at her, leaning in closer, scanning her eyes for emotion.

"Elijah?".

Their eyes meet, showing the same emotion.

Love

He pulls back, pulling out food from a basket. "We should eat".

"Hello earth to Laura!".

"Mm?" I mumble as the world around me comes back into place.

Jenna and Alaric stare at me weirdly. "You were in some weird daze thing" Jenna says, frowning.

"Sorry I was...distracted".

Alaric and Jenna look at each other but continue with their conversation.

"I can't believe it. Elena is my sister's husband's brother's daughter and her mother is my boyfriend's deceased wife. You can't make this stuff up"

"It's definitely a little overwhelming".

"I'm not adopted right?" Laura questions with a quirks eyebrow. "Nope, you are definitely my sisters daughter".

"I can't believe that they kept it a secret. How is it even possible to keep a secret like that?"

Laura looks over to the Grill entrance spotting her uncle. She rolls her eyes causing Jenna to look over. "Ugh!". He grins at the eldest Gilbert when he reaches the table.

"Hey you three, do you think I can join you?"

"Do you have to?" Jenna sassily comments. "I guess I don't have to, but I might as well...look who's here"

We all turn to see Damon and Elena walking through the door and head to our table

"John, buddy, how have you been?".

"I've been all right, Damon. It's good to see you".

"Oh great" I mutter under my breath causing Damon to smirk at me. "I'm gonna go" Laura announces to the table, kissing Jenna and Elena on the check before walking out the door to her car.

She sees some girl talking to Caroline and walk up to them. "Hey Care". The woman talking to her, shoves a piece of weird smelling fabric in front of her face.

-

The eldest Gilbert's eyes flutter open, revealing her surroundings in some sort of a caravan in a cage with Caroline beside her and also a random guy.

"So, How many vampires are there in this town anyway?".

Caroline looks at the other girl "How you feeling?" She ask softly but the man shoots her with vervain, because she didn't answer the question.

"No?" He says. Caroline kicks the bars, hoping her strength would help them but they won't budge.

"Why are you doing this to me?! Why are you doing this to us? Why?"

"You're a vampire. Why not? The girl got in the way". The guy smirks before shooting wooden bullets at Caroline but one of them lands in the humans shoulder.

The two both scream, Caroline stops "I'm sorry this is going to hurt".

Caroline reaches into her wound and pulls out the bullet. Biting into her wrist, offering it to Laura who accepts and watches as the wound heals.

"Let us out!"

"Excuse me? What was that?" Caroline kicks at the cage and screams.

"Let us out!" The guy leaves out of the caravan door.

Caroline slumps back, frowning and looking around for a chance of escape but there is no such luck.

-

Both of the girls' eyes widen as they hear loud crashing and someone being thrown against the caravan. Someone walks in which draws Caroline's attention.

"Tyler, there's a latch on the door and I can't get to it". Tyler continues to stare but doesn't help.

"Tyler help us!" Laura snaps but he still hesitates.

"Tyler?" Caroline kicks against the cage
"Tyler, please! Tyler?".

Tyler finally walks forward, undoing that latch and opening the cage door. Caroline drags her along outside where Jules grabs them, holding them against the caravan.

The werewolves seem to stop and drop to the ground, Jules releases her grip on the two girls.

"What's happening?".

"What the hell is going on?".

A witch named Jonas walks onto the scene, looking around at all of them. His hands are held out as he is casting a spell on the werewolves. "Elijah made a promise to Elena. I'm here to see it's upheld, you need to go. Get out of here. Now" .

Damon and Stefan lead they way with Laura and Caroline following behind. Caroline sends a glare towards Tyler.

Jonas grabs onto Laura's arm, stopping her "Be careful" He says in a strict slightly protective way. She nods while Stefan and Damon wait for her.

"Come on" Damon demands, speeding over to get her and walk with Stefan. "Thanks for being protective". Damon nods whilst Stefan looks at her seriously "We will protect you Laura"..