Chapter Eighteen | Soulmates

The next morning, All of the Gilbert's are back home, leaving Katherine to deal with Mikael. Elena woke Laura up to go do some training with Alaric since she wants herself to be stronger and her sister agreed to join. Yesterday whilst they were road tripping, Klaus discovered Elena was still alive, told Stefan to kill Elena and compelled him to turn his emotions off which ended up with him biting the doppelgängers neck.

"You okay?" Laura asks as Elena covers the wound with makeup. She nods, taking a deep breath before the both walk out into the hallway where Alaric is, looking tired and annoyed.

"Good morning". He doesn't answer and goes downstairs, his head aching.

"Well he's happy" Laura mutters, chuckling as she follows down the stairs with Elena behind her. After some cups of coffee and tea, which Laura prefers tea over coffee, all of them are on their way to the woods, ready to start training.

"So the pressure of your punch ejects the stakes".

"Easy enough" Elena answers. The eldest Gilbert goes first, successfully punching so the stake ejects on to the mannequin. Her lips curve up into a smile and she hands the object to her sister. Behind a tree, Elijah is grinning at the woman but she is too caught up with the training to notice that he is looking at her.

"Well done. Elena?" Alaric says when she takes the contraption from her sister. When Elena hits the mannequin, the stakes don't move, they stay in the contraption. "That's weird". Once again, she tries again but it doesn't change."Must be jammed or something".

"You're not strong enough. Better start lifting some weights, put some meat on your bones".

"Thanks for not sugar-coating it".

"Hey, it's okay, you get there" Laura says, rubbing her sisters back who manages a small smile. Ric shows something to the two "You know what this is?".

"A vervain grenade. I've used one before".

"Then you know the element of surprise is your only advantage when it comes to a vampire". He pulls out the pin, throwing it to Elena "Surprise".

"Oh my god" She throws it, letting it explode in the air, away from them. "This isn't a joke to me Ric".

"You think I'm joking? Vampires will take whatever they want. They will hurt whoever they want. And they'll do it without remorse. It's their nature".

"You don't have to use pronouns. You can say Stefan".

"Look I get why you're here. Stefan hurt you. You don't want it to happen again".

"But you think that I'm crazy. To believe that I can protect myself from a vampire who's flipped the switch on his humanity".

"I think you found a way to get out of bed this morning. And that makes you the strongest person I know. I think that you can do pretty much anything.

-

After Elena went to school and Alaric went as well, to teach his history class, Laura decides to visit her parents grave, along with Jenna's and Johns.

A tear falls down her cheek as she looks down at the names, Miranda, Grayson, Jenna and John. She remembers back to a time when her mother and her were cooking.

"Did you preheat the oven?".

"Yes I did".

"And have you put the timer on for when they go in".

"Not yet".

Laura smiles at her mother who nods, looking around the kitchen. The brunette preoccupies herself with chopping the vegetables. Miranda goes over to sit with Grayson and Jeremy who are both watching the TV together.

Elena walks down the stairs, quickly walking into the kitchen to say that she is going out with Matt and Bonnie to the Grill.

"Hey, I will be back later, save some for me".

The middle Gilbert child then, goes into the lounge room to her parents and brother "I'm going with Matt and Bonnie to the Grill, I will be back in an hour". She kisses her mom and dad, walking back out, placing a quick kiss on her sisters cheek before leaving.

Miranda walks back over, observing her eldest daughter who is putting the vegetables on a tray and into the oven to cook. She turns the timer to the right time "All set".

She blinks away the tears, placing a flower on each grave and walks away. Feeling someone watching her, she locks eyes with Elijah's. "Hey".

At the sight of him, tears run down her face and she runs to him, about to hug him but her hands reach out. "I can't feel you?".

"I know".

"Why are you still here? Watching over me when your brother is around, causing havoc?".

"You know why".

Laura looks up from the ground, meeting his eyes once again, slowly nodding

-

The brunette waits for the vampire to pick up.

"Yes?" Katherine answers,

"Hey uh, how is the Mikael situation going?".

"Fine I guess, he apparently doesn't let himself drink human blood".

"Why?".

"I don't know".

"Can I talk to you about something?".

"You want to talk to me? The person who, just yesterday, knocked you and your brother out? Sure".

"Katherine, be serious okay!".

"I am, go on".

"You know the whole thing with Elijah?".

"That you two were lovers back in the city until he compelled you to forget him, then you remembered when he was daggered?".

"Do you know anything about seeing people when they temporarily die?".

"Not really. Why are you seeing him?".  Laura goes quiet making Katherine raise her eyebrows and the vampire continues "I don't know how you are seeing him but maybe it's because you guys are meant to be together".

"What do you mean?".

"I mean, maybe when an Original falls in love deeply, connecting with them. I guess you can say when they find their Soulmate".

"Soulmate?".

"Yes. This is interesting".

"But why can I see him when he is daggered?".

"I'm not sure exactly but perhaps being an Original's soulmate makes you see them when they are daggered".