Chapter Twenty Seven | Confusion

A knock on the door sparks interest in the eldest Gilbert, making her way down the stairs but her sister had already opened it revealing Elijah.

"Elena" He looks at the stairs "Laura".

"Elijah".

"I don't mean to intrude. I was hoping you might accompany me. I want to show you something".

The two sisters go with him, driving to the wood where they get out and look around.

"Forgot how much I missed this land",

"I can't even imagine what it must have been like a thousand years ago".

"Beautiful, I would imagine" Laura says, smiling.

"You know, your school was built over an Indian village, where I saw my first werewolf. The town square was where the natives would gather to worship. Matter of fact, near that, there was a field where wild horses use to graze".

Both Gilberts look at him in wonder and appreciation for the land "That's incredible".

"Come" Elijah says, causing them both to share a glance but go along with him.

"Do you know this place too?".

"I do. Below us is a cavern I use to play in as a boy. Connects to a system of tunnels that stretch across the entire area. Perhaps it's nature's way of providing us with shelter against the savagery of the full moon. My mother said there must be a balance".

Elena frowns, pulling her sister back  "Elijah, we should probably go home".

"I admire you, Elena. You remind me of qualities I valued long before my mother turned us. It's not in your nature to be deceitful and yet when I asked about your meeting with my mother the other night, you lied to my face".

"That's not true. I told you that all your mother wanted was a new start".

"I can hear your heartbeat. It jumps when you're being dishonest with me. You lied to me at the ball, you are lying to me now. Tell me the truth".

"Elena" The eldest Gilbert warns, scared of what may happen.

"I never wanted this to happen".

"What, Elena?".

"We were told that whatever was going to be in that coffin was going to kill Klaus. When we found out that it was your mother. We didn't know what to think".

"What is going on?" Laura exclaims.

"Since her return she says she only wants this family whole again".

"When she asked to see me, I thought that maybe she could help. That she would find a way to kill Klaus. It's not just Klaus that she wants to kill".

"She wants to kill us all, doesn't she? She wants to undo the evil she created".

"I'm so sorry, Elijah. I wish there was something I could do to help".

"You know, one thing I've learned on my time on this Earth, be careful what you wish for". Suddenly, the Original makes a hole in the earth, jumping down with the doppelgänger, leaving her there as he jumps back up, leaving a stunned Laura.

"Elijah!"

"I'm sorry, this is what I have to do"

"But-". Elijah grabs her, whooshing away. Once they arrive, she opens her eyes. They are in the Salvatore house. Damon is talking with Elijah now and Laura processes what just happened.