Chapter Twenty Three | Gilbert Goodbye

The Gilbert sisters are at Alaric's apartment with him. Elena is hitting a punching bag, letting her frustration out as her older sister watches, leaning against the wall with Ric supervising.

"So what's got you all worked up?".

"I didn't really sleep last night".

"Yeah, me neither. Probably something to do with dying".

"You okay?" Laura says, concerned as she looks at the man.

"Yeah I'm fine, I'm fine. I think the ring, however, is running low on batteries".

Elena nods as she punches "Yeah that's another reason why Jeremy has to get out of town. If those rings have a shelf life, he is not protected, neither are you". She then puts all her strength into a punch.

"Nice nice, you're getting stronger".

"I'm just channeling frustration. I need coffee".

"Already done" The eldest Gilbert smiles, handing her a coffee that she just made. Elena takes off her gloves, taking the coffee and sipping from it.

"Seems Damon's compulsion worked, Jeremy was packing when I left the house, going on about his new school in Denver".

"I'm still not sure about sending him away. I mean he deserves to have a opinion or choice on what he wants or needs" Laura says, her sister frowns.

"It's the best for him" The doppelgänger turns to Ric "Have you talked to Damon today?".

"No. Why?".

"No reason" Elena takes a drink from her coffee, looking guilty, making her sister raise her eyebrows but receives 'I don't want to talk about it' look.

-

As the day goes on, Laura arrives at a council meeting at the founders hall, Ric and Damon are there as well. The two men are discussing things as Laura listens, looking around the places and sending smiles to some of the other founding family people.

"I thought Stefan saved your life".

"He did".

"And now he is willing to risk it just to see how far he can push Klaus?"

"It seems so".

"So is his humanity on or off?".

"I think there is another option at play, a dimmer switch, which is a huge problem"

"Is that even possible?" Laura asks earning a shrug from the eldest Salvatore.

"Why is it a problem?".

"Because I can't predict how far he is willing to go until someone gets killed":

"So suddenly you care who lives or dies?".

"I have a small list".

"Consisting of Stefan and Elena?" The brunette quips with a small smirk.

"Talk about a humanity dimmer switch",

"Screw you!".