Chapter 2 ✅

Shouts and cries pierced the barrier between slumber and consciousness and I jolted awake suddenly, my senses alert.

Alistair, Marcos and Keiko were nowhere to be seen, but evidence of struggling caused me to jump up and run in the direction of the noise.

The scent of unfamiliar wolves wafted into my nose, the smell putting my wolf on edge. It caused a spark of fear to shiver through me, the feeling igniting something feral in my wolf.

"We mean no harm, just let us go."

Alistair's voice broke the sound of silence, and I summoned my wolf's speed, sprinting towards it.

Keiko and Marcos were being handled roughly by foreign wolves, their shouts and cries sending a pang of anger to my heart. Alistair was being beaten to a pulp on the floor, his hands going up to shield every blow by his tormentor.

A thundering growl emitted from my lips and I lunged, shifting, my clothes ripping from my limbs as my body rapidly grew.

My wolf pinned the man to the ground, snapping at his neck whilst he struggled against my hold. I was a rabid dog, my eyes were amber and my intentions were clear.

The man shifted below me, his clothes scattering onto the floor while his light wolf bucked me off, sending me flying into a tree.

Marcos screamed, the sound pushing me on as my wolf shook herself off and snarled at the wolf, her fur bristling.

The wolf's eyes followed me, his body crouching low to the ground. I watched him with equal intensity, my body shaking with blood lust.

"April, calm down." Alistair's voice temporarily distracted me from the wolf. His voice was pleading and low, but still held anger in them and the need to get revenge on his attack dripped from his tone.

I growled in response, baring my teeth at my attacker in the most threatening way possible.

"April, this is a pack wolf. If you kill him his Alpha will demand your blood."

The wolf pulled his lips back in a smug smile, whilst my wolf still snarled at him. I wasn't going to back down though, nor was my wolf. I scowled, circling him like my prey, waiting for him to challenge me.

Marcos' scream ripped through the silence and I turned my head to the noise, panic rising up when I saw him and Keiko being injected with something by the other man that remained. They immediately slumped to the ground, their unconscious bodies hitting the floor with a thump.

Alistair growled. "What did you do to them?"

The wolf gave me a sinister grin, his eyes flickering to something behind me for a second. I already knew what it was, but it was too late because I felt a stab in the back of my leg.

"No-"

Alistair's profanities were interrupted by my howl of pain. My wolf getting more and more exhausted by whatever they put inside me. I felt her presence slip from my mind and I shifted back to human form in less than a second, my body already drained from its strength. This was so foreign to me and I fought with all my strength to no avail. There was only one thing that could do this to a wolf.

Wolfsbane.

Alistair rushed over to me, taking off his shirt and placing it on my body. I was slipping in and out of consciousness, but I could just make out little snippets of what was happening.

I closed my eyes for a brief second, feeling something heavy collapse onto me, and I knew Alistair had been hit as well.

This is all your fault.