Vibe of Madrid

Camilla's PoV

I wake up with the sunlight streaming into my eyes through the thin sheets we have for curtains in the caravan. The glow warms my sleepy skin and I step out of my bed and walk over to the window, pulling back the curtains to overlook the city of Madrid from the mountains. I cast my eyes around to the small hob to my right. I reach into the cupboard and reach for the frying pan. I light the hob and crack an egg over the sizzling pan and made myself a poached egg and some toast. I butter the toast and switch off the hob and plate up breakfast then shuffle my way to the front cabin and seat myself on the drivers seat and rest my feet on the dashboard and munch happily admiring the view. 

James' PoV

The smell of eggs on toast floats past my nose and fills me energy. I flop my way out of my bed and pull a shirt over my chest. I catch my eye over at Camilla who is sat in the cabin munching on the remains of a crust. 

"Morning." I say rubbing my eyes and trying to adjust to the light. "How did you sleep?" I ask politely as I flop into the passenger seat. 

"Pretty good thanks. What's the plan for today?" Camilla asks, clearly more awake than me. 

"See what Madrid holds for us." I wink and admire the view down the mountain for a moment. 

Camilla was nice to enough to make me some egg on toast whilst I change and freshen up and then start up the van and start to drive as Camilla slips into the minimal size bathroom to change. Her hair is piled on her head and she's wearing a striped shirt and 3/4 length shorts and a pair of sandals. She preps a small picnic and rejoins me in the front as I steer the caravan carefully down the winding roads towards the city. 

Madrid unfolds before us and we drive past monuments, cathedrals and museums - stopping off in a small square to explore. We stepped out of the van, grabbing the picnic in my rucksack as we left. We strolled up the street chattering and keeping an eye for somewhere to stop for lunch. The sun beams high in the sky; its glow warming the city and wrapping us in sunlight. I admire a small man sat on a stool in the middle of the square playing a ukelele singing an old folk song in Spanish. Sitting on a small bench next to a statue, I watch Camilla watching the man playing the ukelele who has now been joined by a small mariachi band who have formed a crown in the square of people who dance and clap along happily. 

Camilla's PoV

There's a vibe in the square that I can't pin my finger to but it's a good feeling. My body flows in the music as James and I get up and salsa dance with some of the Spanish public. Children, adults, elderly from different cultures all coming together with thanks to the beauty of the music. The tunes fade from one to another and the square is filled with smiles, noise and laughter and the sense of not giving a care in the world. The ability to forget and completely let go. James grabs me by the arm through many people and takes a selfie of us in the crowd with the loud music in the background. We smile and wait for the phone to shutter and take the photo. We continue to dance in the sea of people absorbing each others company and completely losing track of time. 

My feet ache and my arms feel sore as we hobble back to the caravan eating hungrily the picnic I had prepared earlier. We enter the van and I take the wheel and start to drive still munching. James cranks up the stereo inserting yet another old Indie playlist that bleeds through the speakers. Rolling out of the suburbs of the city I recall the the music in my mind, the faces of the people: a simple image of harmony and happiness. James show me some snaps he caught of the square full of life including the selfie we took and another with the band who are smiling up at the camera with their instruments on their hands.Never will I forget the city of Madrid with the unforgettable and diverse vibe.