Chapter 47: Ambush

On the morning of his departure, I woke up early. When I turned towards my husband he was looking at me. He couldn't sleep either. Strangling a sob, I draped my arm and leg over him and snuggled closer. I didn't want him to leave. The tears threatened to spill and I knew I had to find a distraction or I would make a fool of myself. I wouldn't beg him to stay, not when his duty said otherwise.

He felt my distress and rubbed my shoulder. "I won't be long, I swear. I will return as soon as I can. Domarr will be there, should I give him your greetings?"

I sniffled. "If you please. And to Magge as well, if she came with. I guess she will, Domarr's leg will be barely healed, she will want to keep an eye on him." Magge wasn't as far along as I was, she likely could still ride. "I hope the court will rule in their favor."

"So do I, but I can't be certain. Sigurd Godi will support their opponent. I discussed it with him and he wouldn't budge. I seems that the man is wealthy enough and one of his strongest followers. Sigurd will not change his mind."

There were noises outside our door, the clinging of pots and pans and light footsteps. The household was awaking. It was time to get out of bed.

A short while later, I was hugging Einarr, wishing him a safe trip. My eyes followed him and his small group of warrior until they vanished behind the hill. It took all my strength not to crumble.

"You'll get used to it, Sunngifu, as I did. But it will always hurt." Mildred sighed beside me. Her husband was part of Einarr's escort.

"I don't think I ever will. How can you bear the idea that he might not come back."

"I can't. But I avoid thinking about it," she croaked.

Impulsively, I turned and hugged her, and jumped back in awe. "Mildred, are you with child?" She had hinted it at Geol, but had been silent since. I assumed that she had been mistaken, and hadn't wished ,to add to her heartache with my questions. Her loose clothing and the satchel of herbs she carried most of the time, had kept her expanding belly hidden.

She giggled, her sadness instantly dissolving in motherly glow. "I am. I have felt the bearn move for a month. When I announced it to my husband yesterday, he didn't believe me at first. He thought I was growing fat." She rolled her eyes. "Men are so unobservant!"

"Why did you wait so long? He surely would have been glad to know earlier?"

Mildred's cheeks turned pink and she avoided my gaze. "I wanted to be certain that I wouldn't lose the child this time..."

I nodded. "Let's go inside, we can spin and talk together. My back ails me when I stand for too long."

We had produced a fair length of yarn, when a visitor requested entrance. I recognized him for one of the men attending my wedding. His small farm was wedged between Einarr and Sigurd Godi's lands, and I had given him a bag of oats and a basket of dry fish to bring home to his family. He seemed agitated and was rubbing his hands nervously.

I went to welcome him as was my duty. The mistress of the house ought to be hospitable.

"Pray sit, you have come a long way. Let me offer some ale and meat." I waived at a servant while he sat on the edge of a bench.

"Thank you, for this and your gifts, even though I am oathed to Sigurd Godi. You are very generous." He looked at Lady Disaelfr, who had abandoned her loom to join us, and swallowed. She smiled at him encouragingly. "A day ago, Sigurd Godi called a large number of his men to his house. I was there in search of a healer for my wife who had taken ill, and couldn't help to overhear." He paused, drinking a sip of his ale. "There was a girl there, a former slave he has freed. She used to belong to his daughter, but I didn't catch her name. According to Sigurd Godi, she witnessed Einarr Godi's mother gloat that she had killed Sigurd's daughter." He was staring at his hands, unwilling to see Lady Disaelfr's reaction. "Sigurd Godi said that he will avenge his daughter. He plans to murder Einarr Godi when he will cross his lands and make it appear as if Einarr Godi was the aggressor. Sigurd believes that Einarr Godi might have wanted his wife dead, as he had his eyes on another, and that in any case he failed as a husband, by not protecting her from his mother. Sigurd Godi, think that killing Einarr Godi will show Disaelfr the Murderess how it feels to lose a child."

Lady Disaelfr let out a loud gasp and swayed on her feet, then dropped heavily on a stool. "It is not true! I did not push her!"

I frowned at her: "You implied it when you threatened me. Hrefna was there, she heard you! And now my Einarr might die because of you!" I was so furious that I didn't notice how pale she was. She was clenching her chest and breathing heavily.

"Enough, Sunngifu, she is going to faint. What is done is done, this fighting will not help. We need to warn them." As usual, Mildred was the voice of reason.

"Where will it happen?" I asked the farmer, who seemed ready to bolt.

"There is a stretch of road after the first fjord, where large rocks stand at each side. They will ambush them there. But there is more. Once Einarr Godi's party has been slayed, they will come for you. I am warning you against my Godi because you are kind, and also because a feud between godar will destroy my farm..."

There was a scream at the door. It was Svana who had just heard the last sentences. By then, most of the household was standing around us in horrified silence.

Mildred had taken care of Lady Disaelfr, giving her a goblet of mead. Einarr's mother recovered enough to intervene. "How can we save them? The few men who are here will need to stay and prepare to protect us. I can send a servant to seek help in the farms but it will be too late for my son..." Her voice broke and tears ran down her face. She wiped them but couldn't add anything.

"How far is this place?" I glanced at the hour candle. They had left three hours ago. Maybe a messenger could reach them on time. They couldn't ride too fast without exhausting their horses.

Svana joined us. "They'll be there before sundown. It is on the other side of the mountain from my father's farm. I know a short cut."

"It won't be enough. A messenger won't stop the attack if they are too close. Sigurd Godi will have posted scouts. They need reinforcements and we have no one to spare." Lady Disaelfr twisted her hands in despair.

"What good will these men do us if your son is dead? Send them to him, you've heard it, Sigurd Godi will only attack us after Einarr's death!" I was raging. I had to do something. My husband couldn't die. I loved him. I knew it then. I loved him. And he didn't know it.

"But if they arrive too late, as is most likely, we will all die. I cannot agree to that. My son would never forgive me if I failed to protect his wife and his heir." Lady Disaelfr wouldn't budge. I couldn't blame her. It was a hard but sensible decision, I understood it. Yet I couldn't abide by it.

"I am the mistress of this house. It is my choice to make. And I choose to save Einarr."

Lady Disaelfr rose. "You are a freed woman, Sunngifu. You do not get to choose over me. And I disagree. So let see who the members of this household will follow."

I stood and faced them pleadingly, thralls, servants and warriors, assembled in the hall. None of them held my gaze. They would not support me.

I turned my back to them with all the dignity I could muster and retired to my chamber. I was numb. This was a nightmare.

Then my eyes fell on the weapon's rack and suddenly I knew what to do. I changed my dress for a simpler one, more suitable for traveling, wrapped in a thick cloak and hid my bow and quiver underneath. Then I returned to the hall and grabbed Svana's arm. "Come with me, I need air. I won't stay amongst cowards."

I dragged her to the stables despite her protests. "Svana, I need you to describe your shortcut to me."

She frowned. "Why would you need that?" Her eyes narrowed in suspicion. "What are you planning, Sunngifu? You cannot ride so close to term, it is madness!"

I shrugged. "If I ride I might give birth and the child may live, as I am close to my term. If I stay here we might both die."

"If you go into labor you won't reach them. Let me try instead."

I shook my head. "You heard Lady Disaelfr. They need reinforcements." I pulled out my bow. "I can use this to thin the ranks of their foes."

Svana grinned. "Then I shall come with you."