Chapter 6: Drowning

When I woke up the next morning, the wind had picked up and dark clouds raced into the sky. I was alone, my captor was already up giving orders to his crew. The ship swayed on the waves and the sail was reduced.

My stomach clenched suddenly and I ran to the stern, bending overboard and throwing up bile. I had never before set foot on a boat, and the rocking motion didn’t agree with me. Another wave of nausea hit and I bowed again, only this time my bare feet slipped on the wet planks and I fell helplessly into the gray waters.

The cold seized me as my head plunged underneath, permeating my dress and smock instantly. My clothes were weighing me down. Instinctively, I fought my way to the surface, sucking in a quick breath when I broke it.

The longship was sailing away at high speed, I couldn’t swim to it. I looked around, but there was no coast in sight. I was lost at sea.

A high wave broke on me and I inhaled water. I came up coughing and struggled to stay afloat. My arms and legs were numbing, growing heavy, and I was finding it harder and harder to keep my head out. Before long, I was bobbing up and down, spending as much time emerged than submerged. I was fighting a losing battle. Why was I even trying? Didn’t I want to die?

Not that I had a choice anymore. I closed my eyes, muttering a last prayer. I asked God to protect my people and my family, and save Magge and the maidens from slavery.

I plunged below once more and everything went black.

There were loud voices around me and a heavy weight pressed on my chest. Salted water flooded my mouth and I spat and coughed, for what felt like hours.

I opened my eyes to a strange vision. A dripping wet Viking was squeezing my ribs, his face contorted in an expression I couldn’t decipher. Was it rage, concern, panic? A woman was crying beside me, while a group of men stared, talking vehemently. What were they doing?

Suddenly, I was set free and the woman hugged me.

“My Lady, you are alive!”

Why was she saying that? She seemed familiar, but I couldn’t place her.

“I was so worried, you almost drowned. If Lord Einarr hadn’t turned the boat back and dived to your rescue…”

Her words unlocked a door in my mind. Suddenly it all came back to me, the banquet, my abduction…

“He shouldn’t have,” I retorted bitterly.

She was pushed aside by a seething pirate. His hands grabbed my shoulders with enough force to crush them.

“Did you jump overboard?”

I was tempted to lie, to let him believe that I had attempted suicide. After all, I planned to do it. Perhaps it would make him regret his actions.

But I thought better of it. I would only infuriate him further, and he would make me pay for it.

So I shook my head.

“Nay, I got sick and lost my footing. I am a Christian, suicide is a mortal sin.”

If my answer satisfied him, he didn’t show it. Pulling me to my feet, he dragged me to the tent.

“Take off your clothes.”

As I was too stunned to respond, he caught the hem of my dress and lifted it. I beat his hands off and he huffed in annoyance.

“You are drenched and cold. You will get ill.”

That’s when I noticed the water pooling around me and began shivering in the wind. But I was stubborn.

“So are you and you are dressed.”

Wordlessly, he untied his belt and got rid of his kirtle. His shirt followed, and his hands moved to his breeches.

Blushing, I turned around and wrung my hair. I heard the fabric hit the floor with a slap, and his hands were on my waist, threatening me.

“Now, undress or I’ll do it for you.”

Mortified, I obeyed. I avoided his gaze, wishing he had left me in my liquid grave.

Once naked, he placed a warm blanket on my shoulders and pulled me flush against him. Only then, did I notice that he had covered himself warmly as well.

He rubbed my back vigorously, and then my arms, making my frozen blood flow again. Progressively, I relaxed, leaning into his body heat. My eyes closed by themselves and my thoughts stilled, leaving me in a trance like state.

His hands drew slow circles on my shoulder blades and soft kisses peppered my face and neck. I didn’t move, too tired to protest. Within a few instants, I was asleep.