Chapter 17: Mead abuse

When we returned to the longhouse we could barely see our feet. I guess that the others didn’t need light, having walked that trail often. I however tripped more than once until Svana and Mildred hooked their arms in mine to keep me upright.

I felt revived, cleansed from the filth accumulated during the trip. My new clothes were comfortable enough. My hair, combed with scented oils, was neatly braided. The warm soak had unknotted my sore muscles, and I would have happily gone straight to bed.

Unfortunately, it wasn’t to happen. I still had to serve my captor during the evening meal, and then share his bed. I must admit that I disliked the latter over the former.

A strong smell of food hit me upon opening the door, and my stomach grumbled in response. I was famished. I would have to wait though. Slaves ate last, feeding on the leftovers.

A long table had been set up and covered with linen. Cuts of roasted pig were presented on a large circular dish. I had to refrain from drooling at the sight of the crispy skin. I imagined the taste of the succulent meat in my mouth, the savor of the spices in the sauce…

“What are you dreaming about? Go take your place!”

A hand pushed me in the back none too gently and I stumbled ahead. I wondered where to go; my gaze fell on my owner. He smiled at me and pointed to the floor beside him. Trying my best to be invisible, I washed my hands and went to kneel at his feet.

As usual, I was bored to death, as I understood next to nothing to the conversation. Even the toasts eluded me. I look around, trying to put names on the diners. I had met a few during the day. The bondwoman from earlier noticed me and sneered. I wondered why she was allowed at her master’s table. Was it a privilege she earned for being his whore? But then, why did he put me so low?

She spoke to her neighbor and both laughed, mocking me. At first, I felt miserable at my debasement, emphasized by my current posture. Then I decided to ignore it. We would see in a year who would have the last laugh. I began woolgathering, absently watching the patterns embedded in the pillars.

Something touched my lips. I focused my eyes, running them up from the hand in front of me to a muscular arm, a solid shoulder, a smiling mouth and striking blue orbs.

“Eat, Sunngifu.”

He held a juicy piece of roast to my mouth. It was humiliating, being fed like an animal, but it came with a silver lining. As the Lord of the house, he was presented with the tastiest morsels. My hunger made short work of my pride and I bit into the treat, shortly missing his fingers. The flavor was exquisite, the texture perfect. I closed my eyes and moaned in delight. I wasn’t loud but he heard me.

“I sent my cook to train with Aidan. He is the master of spices.”

“You did well. This is heavenly.”

He chuckled and gave me more, until I told him I had enough. He handed me a bowl of boiled vegetables and a cup of mead.

“Pray, my Lord, may I have water instead? I don’t handle liquor well.”

He frowned and shook his head.

“We are celebrating my return, you must drink.”

Of course, he wanted me to toast him. I couldn’t refuse without offending him. I gulped the sweet beverage fast and coughed. It was stronger than I had anticipated.

As soon as I finished my beans and peas I was given another cup and a stern look. I knew not to insist and resigned to my fate; I would be drunk. I was already a little tipsy.

After the desert a harp was brought. From my position I couldn’t see who was playing, but it was a nice, nostalgic music. One of the women began to sing. A palm pressed on my cheek, bringing my head to rest on my owner’s thigh. His fingers caressed my face and hair while I listened to the song. For the first time since my abduction, I was at peace. I leant against him, savoring the moment.

I don’t know how long I stayed like this. I blame the mead for it. Suddenly he rose and pulled me up. He had to hold me at first as my legs felt numb and weak. His arm sneaked around my waist and remained there until we were in his room. He sat me on the bed and told me to prepare for the night. I obeyed. My movements were slow as my head was swimming. Standing was difficult. I had to perch on a chest to brush my teeth. I hardly managed to use the chamber pot on my own, I couldn’t have reached the latrines. I refreshed and plopped onto the bed before he returned.

I watched him while he undressed and got ready to join me. My vision was becoming blurred. As his bulky frame stalked towards me and climbed on the mattress, a memory popped in my drunken mind.

When I was a little child, my brothers played a game with me. One of them would pretend to be a wild beast chasing me, while the other was the brave hunter coming to the rescue. I never tired of it. The silhouette of Lord Einarr, his fluid and powerful moves, reminded me of a wildcat. Nay, he was bigger than that. A wolf? Too feline for it. Suddenly I knew.

“You are a bear,” I blurted.

He froze, his eyebrows shooting up, then knitting together.

Did I offend him? Maybe he disliked bears.

“A very handsome bear,” I offered apologetically.

The corners of his mouth twitched, his eyes sparkling with mirth.

“You are drunk, little dreki.”

It was my turn to frown.

“What is it you always call me? I don’t understand this word.”

“It means dragon, and it suits you well.”

I pouted, unsure of what he meant. Was he mocking me? He called me a flying snake…

He laughed at my discontent.

“A very pretty dragon.”

I could feel the heat of the blush spreading from my forehead to my chest. He knelt between my legs and lifted me up, straddling him. My smock flew over my head and I found myself naked in an unstable position, supported by his hands. I didn’t even notice. All my thinking abilities were focused on his last words.

“You find me pretty?”

I was not an eyesore, yet compared to his former lover I was very common. Men didn’t look twice at girls like me.

He became very serious.

“Nay you’re not.” My face fell and he pressed his forehead against mine. “You are beautiful.”

His mouth found mine and I melted in his arms. When he released me I nuzzled him.

“You smell good for a bear…” I inhaled deeply and pecked the crook of his neck. Then I traced his smile with my finger. “And you have soft lips…”

He chuckled and kissed me again, erasing the last of my conscious thoughts.

The only thing I remember after that was snuggling into his arms and whispering: “I love bears…” There was a kiss on my hair, and his voice answering: “Sleep well Sunngifu. Tomorrow, I’ll punish you.”