Chapter 15: Candle

Chapter 15: Candle

KAYLA'S POV

"Mommy." I opened my eyes to see Hannah. "I'm hungry." I grabbed my phone and looked at the time, noon.

"When did you wake up?" I asked.

"Maybe five minutes ago." I groaned and got up, sliding out of my bed. I walked downstairs with her and out of the kitchen.

"What do you want?"

"A hot dog."

"Okay." I said, going into the fridge and pulling out some hot dogs. I grabbed a bun out of the package on the counter. I assembled it and put in the microwave for about a minute, handing it to her on a plate.

"Can I eat it in my room?" She asked and I nodded. She gave me a small smile and walked up the stairs. I sighed and followed her, stopping at the top.

"I'll be in my room if you need me!" I called before turning to go to my room. I curled into a ball and let tears roll down my face. Today was the day my husband died, it's always hard for me. But, just because I'm upset, doesn't mean I'm not a mother. I still need to take care of my daughter. I heard my phone ring and looked to see it was my sister.

"Hello?"

"Hey Kayla, I just wanted to see how you were feeling."

"Shitty." I mumbled.

"I know, I know it's hard. How's Hannah?"

"I don't know. I just made her lunch, you know how she doesn't like to express how she's feeling."

"Yeah, anyway, I'll let you get some rest, I just wanted to check up on you."

"Thanks." I said.

"Okay, bye sis, love you."

"Bye Kiana, love you." I said, hanging up and putting my phone down. About an hour later, my phone rang again. I answered it and put the phone to my ear.

"Hello?"

"Hey Kayla." I heard Lonny's voice.

"Hi Lonny." I said, tears coming to my eyes. My voice cracked a little bit.

"Are you okay?" He asked, suddenly sounding concerned.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I said, tears rolling down my face.

"Kayla, no you're not, what's wrong?"

"Seriously Lonny, it's nothing."

"If you don't tell me, I'm going to come over there and find out for myself."

"It's just, today is the day my husband died."

"Aww Kayla, do you want me to come over?"

"Please." I said, beginning to cry.

"Okay, I'll be right over there."

"Thank you." I said and hung up. I wiped my tears, putting my phone down and laying on my back. About five minutes later, I heard a knock on the door and pulled myself out of bed, walking down the stairs. I opened it and Lonny pulled me to him in a tight embrace. I wrapped my arms around him, sobbing into his shoulder.

"I-I j-just mi-miss him so m-much." I cried.

"I know Kayla, I know." He said, rubbing my back with one hand and stroking my hair with the other. He picked me up bridal style and closed the door, carrying me up the stairs. He laid me down in my bed and climbed in behind me, wrapping his arms around my waist.

"It's just not fair." I cried. He leaned forward and kissed my shoulder.

"I know." He said, rubbing my arm. This is one of the many reasons I love him. Here Lonny is, laying with me and just listening to me cry, comforting me. I'm really glad I met him because I hate being alone on this day. It's just so hard for me to do anything on a day like today, but just Lonny's presence makes me feel a lot better. I turned to face him and kissed his lips.

"I love you so much, thank you for coming."

"I love you too Kayla. You know I'm always here for you." I smiled and snuggled into his body, going to sleep. When it was night, Hannah ran into my room and woke me up.

"Mommy." She whispered.

"Hmm?" I asked, barely opening my eyes.

"Can we light my candle?"

"Oh yeah." I said, wiping my face. I sat up and stretched, Lonny waking up.

"What's going on?" Lonny asked.

"We're going to light my candle, do you want to come with us?" Hannah asked.

"I'd be honored." He smiled, getting out of bed. The three of us walked down to Hannah's room and gathered around the table in the corner of her room. I had grabbed the lighter out of my room before we came down here. We kneeled down and I lit the candle, staring at the photo of my late husband. I felt tears roll down my cheeks and I clutched onto my daughter, holding her as tight as possible. She hugged me tightly, sobbing into my shirt. I felt Lonny wrap his arm around me and hold me. His presence alone helped me start to calm down. We sat for a few minutes in silence as I let my tears fall.

"C-Can I sleep with you?" Hannah asked, pulling away from me a bit and looking up at me. She had tears rolling down her face.

"Of course." I said. I had her blow out the candle and we all stood up, going back to my room. Lonny and I got in and she climbed up onto my bed and turned her back to me, squeezing her teddy bear. I wrapped my arms around her and held her close to my body as Lonny did the same to me.

***********************************************************************************

MoonWarriors gave me the idea

Please leave a comment and let me know what you thought!