Sick

Please note: This takes place while they are still at Watford.

Baz

I hear a grunt of pain from the bed across the room from me. I turn over to look at Snow but to my surprise I only see a lump where Snow should be, in his bed. I sigh. Probably another nightmare. But he did sound in pain. I push the covers of me and swing my legs over the side of bed, the plush carpet feels cold underneath my feet because Snow still insists on sleeping with the windows open.

"Snow," I wait for a response but non came. I wait for another moment until Simon's unruly mop of curly hair pops up from under the covers. God, he looks terrible. His face is nearly as pale as mine except his nose which is as bright red as the sour cherries that are in those bloody scones that he insists on eating. He looks over at me and he has dark circles beneath his eyes and his usual bright, blue eyes aren't glinting and sparkling the they normally do. And I really should know exactly what Snow usually looks like considering I stare at him constantly. "Snow? Are you...are you OK?" He grunts in reply then pulls the pillow from underneath his head and pushes his face into it. I stay like that for a while until I remember to check the time. I look down at the digital clock that sits on the table between our beds. 3:24, Are the alarming, red numbers flashing on the alarm clock. I sigh again.

Simon turns over to me to finally say something, "I'm sorry if I'm annoying you." Then I suddenly feel a pang of guilt, why am I so horrible to this boy. I place my hand on his shoulder, which he wasn't expecting because he jumps back. I kneel down on the floor next to his bed, still holding onto his shoulder as he tries to sit up. But as soon as he does he starts coughing and his face is draining from colour even though I didn't think he could go any paler than he already was. I start rubbing his back but I see it in his face, he needs to be sick. I decide it's best if I go with him and he gets to the toilet just in time. As soon as he's there he starts throwing up in the toilet. Once he's finished, he looks up at me with sad eyes. I help him up and he's practically putting all his weight on me me, which nearly makes me fall on the floor. But despite all the odds, I'm able to drag him across the room and back into his bed, I pull the covers back over him and as I do he grabs my hand. I don't pull away instead I start rubbing my thumb up and down his hand. I kneel down beside his bed again.

"Baz?" Simon's voice his rough and croaky. He's looking at me.

"Mm?" I hum in response and look at him.

"Why do you care so much?" He asks me this question, in a soft voice.

"Because...because you're my roommate, and I'm trying to be nice." I say this while beginning to rest my head on part off the mattress where Snow wasn't laying. I feel my eyes begin to flutter closed but force them stay open, for his sake. We stay like that for a while, me still rubbing my thumb up and down hand and him sometimes twirling my hair around his finger, although I pretend not to notice, until I feel his grip on my hand loosen. I look up at him, his eyes are closed and his lips are slightly parted, he looks so peaceful. I still hold his hand and I rest my head back on his mattress. I decide to stay there for the rest of the night, just in case he needs me. Then I start to feel my eyes flutter closed and I can't resist the urge to sleep anymore.

******

I wake up suddenly, wondering why I'm knelt on the floor next to Snow's bed and why I'm holding his hand. Then I remember Snow is sick and I was helping him. I wipe the sleep from my eyes with my free hand and turn to look at the clock, 6:47. I yawn. I don't want to wake him up but my stirring must have disturbed him. I turn to look at him, he's rubbing his eyes with the back of his hand. God, why is this boy so adorable. It's only when I move I notice how much my whole body aches, so instead I turn around to face him.

"What...what time is it?" He's still impossibly pale with his bright red nose. I turn again to look again at the clock.

"6:49." He tries to sit up but I see him wince in pain and I gently force him to lay back down. I grab the cover that fell off him when he tried to sit up and I pull it back over him. I pull up my free hand and feel his forehead, it's boiling hot. I stand up slowly due to my aching joints and Simon let's go of my hand and I go through to the bathroom. I fumble around in the cupboards until I find a flannel and I soak it in cold water. It drips all over the bathroom floor and bedroom floor and all over me until I reach Snow's bed again. I place it gently over his sweaty forehead and hold it there.

"Baz," He's looking at me again and I dare myself to look at him. I do. "Why are you being so...so nice?" Fuck. I don't know what to do. I can't tell him that I'm looking after him because I'm hopelessly in love with him. But I have to at some point. So I take a deep breath.

"Well, I...I, Simon...I." I'm trying to make myself say it, trying to make myself admit it. Snow can tell that something is wrong because he looks concerned. He grabs the lower half of my arm and lets his hand slip down until it encloses over my hand.

"Go on." He's looking at me with his eyebrows furrowed. He nods at me encouragingly. A small smile plays on his pale lips, does he want me to say this, does he love me too?

"Well, here goes nothing, Simon Snow, I...I love you." The words tumble out of mouth like a word avalanche. His sea blue eyes open wide and his mouth hangs open as though his jaw is unhinged.

"Really?" He finally speaks after about a minute of him holding my hand and me just staring at him. I can't bring myself to say any words, it's like I've lost my voice so instead I just nod. And then, using all his strength he jumps up and hugs me. His arms are wrapped around my neck and I bring my arms up and wrap them around his back. After about five minutes of just hugging, I feel him slightly fall in my arms so I gently place him back down on his bed and once again pull the cover back over his shivering body. I drag the chair from my desk over to the side of Simon's bed.

"You know something Baz, I...I love you too." His voice is rough and croaky, but it's the words that he speaks that means the absolute bloody world to me. I smile at him as I push his matted hair of his sweaty forehead. I started rubbing my hand up and down his arm until it finds a comfortable fit atop Simon's hand. I wait there for a couple more minutes until Simon falls asleep again, I pat his hand slightly. I pick up the cold flannel of his bed. And after I'm sure he's asleep, I kiss his forehead gently.

"Sleep well, Simon."