The Moat

Baz

I was on my way to the moat, for some strange reason I like it there. Well I did like it there until I saw Snow standing over the moat like he wanted to jump in and murder the merwolves that stirred in there. I thought about turning around and walking away but Snow went to lean against a tree, so he spotted me. No where to go I guess.

"Baz?" Snow was looking at me questioningly. I sigh.

"Snow," I hiss "And to think I liked it around the moat," He looks at me confused. " Never mind."

"You actually like it here, around the moat?" He looks at me as he lazily leans against the tree. I walk forward the rest of the distance between me and Snow.

"Yes, yes I do." I answer him but I carry on walking towards the moat, I'm practically teetering on the edge of the moat now but I have good balance. I see Snow look surprised for a moment, what the bloody hell did he think I was going to do, jump in? I watch as Snow comes to join me on the edge of the moat.

"Watch it Snow," I look at him and sneer "You wouldn't want to fall in, merwolves and all that shit," I gesture towards the moat. He turns to me, he probably thinks I'm going to push him in. I'm not going to. I'm no murderer which I would be if I pushed him in. "Oh don't look at me like that Snow, I'm not going to push you in."

"Right." He sounds doubtful.

"I'm no murderer Snow." I say to him, hopefully this will persuade him that I don't actually want to kill him. We stand there like that for a few more minutes. Until Snow opens his mouth to say something and begins to turn to me, as he does he loses his balance and goes falling forward. As soon as I notice I try to grasp at him but he's to far, he's out of my reach. And he goes tumbling into the moat.

Simon

I'm sinking.

Baz...help.

Baz

Fucking shit. What the fuck do I do. I know there's one thing I can do. So I take a deep breath and jump in the moat after Simon. I can swim but swimming isn't what I'm worried about. It's the merwolves I'm worried about. Me and Snow are in the water, we're vulnerable. I can see him through the dense water, he's sinking to the moat, like a rock. I start to swim towards him, the merwolves haven't noticed us yet but that doesn't mean they won't.

Once I reach him I'm able to snake my arm around his waist and I start to drag him towards the top.

Simon

I'm going to die.

But then I feel a slender arm snake around my waist.

Baz.

Baz

I'm still dragging him up to the top when the merwolf spots us. I notice it to I try to swim faster but it's no use it's teeth clamp around my leg and I want to scream in pain. I can't though so instead I grab my other leg and kick the damn beast in the face. It jumps back out of shock I think but I take it my chance to swim away. Which is considerably hard because I've just been bitten.

I burst out the top of the moat and take a sharp breath, I grab Simon and push him out of that damned moat before me. Once I'm sure Snow's out of harms way, I pull myself out. I'm cold and shivering and although it didn't do much, I wipe my eyes on the back of my hand. I glance down at my leg, bloody hell it hurts, it's bleeding which I expected. I look down at Snow, he's curled up into shivering heep on the floor but his eyes are still firmly closed. I sigh. Although I'm usually very good at resisting my urges to help Snow, I'm not now. Although, I did just see him nearly die, so. I pull of my cape and place it over him, making sure to cover all of him except his head.

And then (fuck knows why) I start start stroking his soaked golden curls and twirling them round my finger. I think about carrying him back up to our room but I decide not to, I decide to just wait here until he wakes up but after five minutes of us just sitting there in silence I start to worry. I grab his shoulder and shake him slightly.

"Snow. Snow!" He wakes up with a start, it makes me jump back slightly. His eyes are open wide and they look even more blue than ever. He sits up and my cape falls off him and into his lap. My hand is still gripping his shoulder but he doesn't push me off, he just let's me leave it there. As soon as he sits up he starts coughing, but not just normal coughing he's coughing up water and loads of it, all over my cape. I do want to shout at him, to pull the cape away but I can't bring myself to screech in the face of a boy he just nearly just died. I pat his back gently. I go to move towards him but I forget about my leg and start shouting in pain once I move it.

"Fuck. Fuck. Shit." I swear in agony. I place my leg back down and a groan again, quietly though this time.

"Are you-" he coughs again "OK?" Snow looks actually concerned. He's looking down at my leg and I know there's no point in lying because blood is staining the whole bottom half of my school trousers.

"I was bitten, by a merwolf." I gesture towards the moat.

"While you were saving me?" He looks at me intensely. I nod, I can't bring myself to say that I 'saved the enemy'.

"We should go to the medical bay." Snow suggests. I look at him and raise an eyebrow.

"I can barely move my leg without screaming fifteen swear words. How do you expect me to walk there." I point out the flaw in Snow's plan.

"I could help you." At look at him and laugh, it comes out way more good natured than I wanted it to be.

"Says the boy who I had to save and who just coughed up five gallons of water all over my cape." He cringes.

"Come on, we've got to try." And with that Snow grabs my forearm and starts to try and pull my up. I try to put all my weight on right leg but I just fall back down with new line of swear words escaping my mouth out of pure agony.

"I can't, Snow. My leg hurts to much and it's still bleeding." Then Snow stands up, stumbles a bit and then puts one of his arms beneath my back and the other underneath my legs.

"Snow, what the fuck are you doing. Put me down. You're going to fall over and then I'm going to fall on the bloody floor." I screeching at him and my fists are balled up and burrowed into my chest.

"Don't you trust me?" He's looking down at me, smiling. A huge smile, one that he reserves for people like Bunce and Wellbelove.

"No, I don't. I don't usually trust you and I trust you even less considering the fact that I just saved you from drowning," He's still smiling at me, I look down at the floor and see his legs swaying slightly beneath mine and his weight."Simon, put me down! If you fall over and break a bone I'll feel guilty." I look up and see his eyes sparkling and an even bigger smile on his face.

"Hey. You called me Simon." I squirm in his arms.

"I did not. Anyway you should really put me down. I'm too heavy for you." He looks down at me.

"Alright fine I'll put you down. But you've got let me help you get there," He puts me down and immediately loose my balance and stumble. I groan in agony again and he wraps his arm around my waist. He makes me put all my weight on him but I still stagger clumsily. "You can't walk, Baz, just let me help you." He looks at me the way you look at a child. He goes to pick me up again I cringe but I don't think I can stop him. So I let him pick me up, bridal style, again.

He grasps me this time, he grips to my legs and back like he's never going to let me go. And then he does something I never thought he'd ever do, he leans his head down and I move my head up. His eyes flutter closed and I feel mine do the same.

And then he kisses me.