Stag Part 2: The Not-So Epic Conclusion

Will curled in on himself trying to releive some of the pressure in his lower abdomen.  This had been going on for hours and Hannibal was out insearch of food. After another intense and painful hour Will finally pushed out a small brown-red calf and curled around her to protect her from the fridged winter air. She made soft mewls as Will licked her clean.

Hannibal came back with a few branches covered in berries for them. He dropped them near the entrance of the cave and muzzled Will's side. Will made a deep, threatening noise at him.

"Shhh, Will it's just me," Hannibal purred.  Will tucked his snout in Hannibal's feathers. They both heard a rather loud, demanding mewls causing Hannibal to jump a bit. Will snorted happily and nudged the calf's- Abigail as Will decided to call her- nose with his own. Hannibal curled around them, and Abby stuck her nose deep in his feathers causing her to sneeze. Will snorted and nudged her toward Hannibal. Abby pushed herself up on shaky legs and flopped on Hannibal's soft belly. Will grabbed a branch and picked the berries of the ends.

-A few months later-

The three of them decided to take an adventure down to the stream for the first time this spring and take Abby there for the first time. Abby trotted  down to the water tentatively sticking one leg in the water. Hannibal bounced into the stream soaking himself and Abigail.

"Not cool, Papa," Abby whined. Hannibal's ears dropped in mock sadness. Abby clambered into yhe deeper water and bumped her nose into Hannibal's. In turn he licked a broad stripe across her muzzle and trotted off.

Will watched them run and play from the shade of a large oak tree. Abby was doubling in size all of the time, it seemed. Will worries about her still especially after the death of his first calf. He was severely undersized and as a result he was killed by his other parent. But, Hannibal seemed to love he as if she was his own flesh and blood. For that Will was forever grateful.

Hannibal rubbed his wet feathers against Will's side effectively pulling him out of his trance. Will bumped into Hannibal with his hip as he bounded off toward the stream to splash around with Abigail. They all played around until the sun began to dip below the horizon. Then, they all went home to sleep for the day.