chapter thirteen

'There will be dozens of people who will take your breath away,

But the one who reminds you to breathe

Is the one you should keep.'

Unknown

↠ ↠ ↠

"So, are you gonna explain to me now how you know what you know?" Octavia grabbed Olivia's arm the moment she came down, her face expectant.

Pausing, Olivia looked around, spotting an empty corner and nodding for the both of them to head there; this was not a conversation she needed any of the other kids to overhear. Octavia followed her over, sitting down in front of her, her eyes curiously going to the journal. Glancing down at it, Olivia held it out for her, giving her the chance to look through it. She did so silently for a while until she sucked in a sharp gasp, stopping at the page with her drawing.

"I think he really cares about you," Olivia told her, watching her carefully for her reaction.

Her cheeks were flushed slightly, her mouth gaping open but she seemed to shake it off, moving on in the book. "Are they still hurting him?" Octavia asked, looking up from the book to frown at Olivia.

"The book has some record of the people in our camp," she explained, "I think they're even more inclined to do so now." Octavia furrowed her eyebrows in confusion as she looked at the page with tally marks on it. Sighing, Olivia continued, "They've been watching us."

Octavia nodded slowly, then glanced at Olivia cautiously, "But you already knew that, right?"

Olivia wondered how best to tell her before eventually saying quietly, "I met a grounder. His name is Orion, he's Lincoln's friend. They do speak English – they keep that secret. I think that's it?" She racked her mind for any other important details but found that those were the ones that seemed necessary. Telling her about him saving her and giving her a dagger felt long and pointless; they were also surrounded by other campers and it didn't feel safe just in case someone happened to overhear.

"So what do we do?" Octavia frowned, watching Olivia expectantly.

"Wait until the storm is over and figure out some way to free him," Olivia shrugged, "I know that's obvious but that's all we can do right now. We keep him alive, we try to keep them from hurting him too much and then when the time comes, we set him free." Octavia was eyeing her in disappointment and sighing, Olivia raised an eyebrow, "I'm guessing that's what you already had planned."

"Yeah," she nodded, "And it's way easier said than done."

Octavia couldn't have been more right about that statement – especially since they soon found out that the knife that had been in Finn was covered in poison. Things escalated pretty quickly after that; they'd begged Lincoln to tell them which vial it was but he stayed resistant, choosing to just stare back at them in response. Desperation was painting Clarke's face and it became clear that things were about to take a dark turn.

"I'll get him to talk," Bellamy announced, advancing onto Lincoln.

Octavia gripped his hand, pulling him back, "Bellamy, no! Please!"

Bellamy shook her off, shouting at her, "He wants Finn to die! Why can't you see that?" He then turned to Clarke, raising his eyebrows, "Do you want him to live or not?"

"Clarke, you even said it yourself!" Octavia pleaded, "This is not who we are! He was protecting me. He saved my life."

Not sure what to do, Olivia bit her lip. She could see why they were desperate to do it – Bellamy blamed Lincoln for the crimes his people had committed against them and Clarke cared about Finn enough to do anything for him but no matter how she juggled it in her mind, torture was wrong. Looking up, she saw that Clarke was looking at her, waiting for her opinion. Gulping, she spoke, "This is the kind of thing you can't take back once it's done, Clarke. You have to live with this-"