chapter twenty-five

'Have you ever asked yourself,

Do monsters make war,

Or does war make monsters?'

Lani Taylor

↠ ↠ ↠

Day Thirty-One

It felt like they were wasting time. Olivia hadn't been formally arrested but she'd been stuck in interrogation alone despite that. She'd been desperate to see her mom but Kane had insisted that she stay in that room until they'd received all the information they could about the situation. She'd told them all that she'd thought was appropriate, choosing to leave out the fact that she had a book with their language on her and only briefly telling them about Orion. They'd confiscated the bow and arrows but the book was tucked safely away inside her clothes so they had no idea about it.

It wouldn't have been so bad if she'd had other people with her but she was totally alone in the room, wondering how Bellamy and the others were doing. When she heard gunshots, she decided that she wasn't going to sit patiently and wait any longer, banging on the door to the guards attentions. They seemed annoyed that she was bothering them but one of them left anyway, hopefully to go find Kane.

Soon after, Kane came through the door, finding Olivia mid pace. She turned at his arrival, her eyebrows furrowing. "I've told you all I can," she said, "I haven't committed any crimes. You can't keep me in here. I wanna see my mom and friends."

Kane clenched his jaw, "For some reason I feel like there's still a lot you're not telling us."

"I don't think there's anything I can do about that," Olivia replied, crossing her arms in challenge, "You're the one who said there are rules – laws. Do your laws say that you can keep an innocent person captive?"

Knowing that Olivia had a point, Kane released an annoyed sigh, taking a step to the side to signal that she was okay to leave. She gave him one last look before she speeded past the guards, glad to finally be free. At that point, she only had one thing on her mind at that point: she had to find her mom. It was strange being back on the Ark and though they were on the ground, speeding through those halls scared her as she felt like she was back up there.

Inside the Ark there weren't many people and she couldn't find her mother so she headed outside, finding that many people were hard at work building a wall around the camp. They were much better equipped than the kids had so their wall seemed much more substantial. There were guards posted around with guns, all of them keeping their eyes on the trees. It was obvious that the people around them hadn't been on the ground for long as many of them were still admiring their surroundings in awe.

"Olive?" A heartstoppingly familiar voice breathed. "Olivia? Dear?"

Tears burning her eyes and heart thudding, Olivia turned, her eyes meeting warm brown ones. She couldn't contain that smile that stretched across her face as she ran towards the woman, pulling her into a tight hug. The tears spilled down as Olivia breathed in her scent, finding its familiarity soothing for her. For a second, she felt fifteen again, crying at the opportunity of having a mother and father who actually wanted her and who were kind and caring.

"Mom," Olivia cried, unable to actually vocalise how she was feeling and only able to cry.

"I'm so glad you're okay," her mom stroked her hair, "I thought I'd lost everyone."

Pulling back, Olivia frowned, "Where are Dad and Kai?"

Her mother gulped, her eyes brimming with tears as she shook her head. The look on her face said it all and Olivia had to pull her in for another tight hug as she cried on her shoulder. "There was a problem on Factory Station – they needed a couple of engineers. Your brother and father... they agreed to go and they swore they'd be back but..."