chapter thirty

'there are two

types of tired,

I suppose:

one is a dire need of sleep

the other is a dire need of peace'

Mandeq Ahmed

↠ ↠ ↠

Blood must have blood. That was what the commander had said to Orion and she had meant it. In order for there to be a truce, Finn had to die and as well as keeping an eye on Lincoln, Orion was tasked with ensuring that they went through with it. After finding out about it, the camp had gone crazy – many had wanted to just let the grounders take Finn but they couldn't do that. Not after all they'd gone through. Finn had been there since the moment they had landed and throughout his time down there, he'd done all he could for his friends.

Lincoln and Orion were in medical so they'd gone there to try and get some answers but Lincoln was the only one giving them. He told them that Finn would have to suffer the pain of eighteen deaths and only then would the truce be able to begin. Obviously Lincoln could do nothing to help, his people now saw him as a monster because of becoming a reaper – and he didn't seem like he wanted to – so they'd turned to Orion instead.

"Liv, you have to talk to him," Clarke whispered to her, nodding to Orion, "He's one of Lexa's closest warriors, maybe he can convince her."

"He pledged allegiance to her, Clarke," Olivia replied, "His loyalty is with her. Not with us-"

"-but maybe with you," Clarke frowned, "Please Olivia."

Sighing, Olivia glanced over at Abby, who was also watching her with pleading eyes. She knew that no matter how much she begged Orion, there was nothing he could do – or would want to do. He didn't have the same attachment to Finn and he was grieving for his village as well. Even so, she didn't want to shoot them down so she nodded, heading over to him. At their approach, he looked up, his face resigned. The paint had started to wear off his skin and his mask hung around his neck but he still very much looked like the grounder general he was.

"What can we do?" Olivia asked him quietly, eyebrows furrowed.

Orion released a breath, "Hand him over to me and the riders."

"Orion, please," Olivia sighed, "That can't be all."

"That is all," he gritted his teeth, "He must pay for what he's done. Eighteen dead, Skai-snacha, all of them innocents."

"That wasn't Finn," it was Clarke who said this, her voice desperate.

Orion narrowed his eyes, the anger evident on his face and in his tone, "Then who was it?"

Clarke's lips parted at his response, her eyebrows furrowing. She had nothing to say to that. It was easy enough to say that Finn wasn't himself when he killed those people but they all sensed the lie in that. Someone had to take responsibility for what happened and that someone had to be Finn. Even if he didn't die, there had to be some recognition that he'd taken the lives of many innocent and undeserving people.

"Deliver him to us and we may have the peace that you guys have been begging for since you landed on the ground," Orion stated, "Or don't and all die. Is the life of a murderer really worth the whole of your people?"

They didn't reply. Clarke released a frustrated breath, turning and leaving medical. She was quickly followed by Abby, who went to go check on her. Olivia remained, looking over at Orion sadly. He met her eyes, his face softening.