chapter twenty-three

'We'll survive,

You and I.'

F. Scott Fitzgerald

↠ ↠ ↠

"Hey, let me help you with that," a gentle voice spoke, pulling her gaze up from the desk. It was Bellamy, approaching her warily as if he expected her to still be upset with him. After everything that had happened, it would have been ridiculous for her to still be angry at him. She smiled up at him in reassurance, nodding and allowing him to taking her wrists gently in his hands. They were bruised and bleeding from the binds Murphy had put her in. "He could have killed you today, Oli," Bellamy gulped as he wrapped some gauze around her wrists – she'd already cleaned them.

"So what? I should have stayed silent as he hung you?" Olivia scoffed, trying to meet his eyes but finding that he kept them locked on her wrists. "We're in this together Bellamy, that's what we agreed remember?"

"So if my life is at risk then yours has to be too?" Bellamy countered as he finished wrapping her wrists, finally able to look at her in the eye. He leaned against the desk, his eyes appraising her in frustration and concern.

"Well when you phrase it like that," she rolled her eyes. She ran her fingers over the bandages for a second before she shrugged, "I thought of it more as if you're at risk then I have to do whatever it takes to help you, even if that means putting myself in harm's way. That's what you did when you offered to swap yourself for me and Jasper." Bellamy opened his mouth to reply but closed his mouth when he realised that she had a point. Sighing, she placed her hands on his cheeks, her eyes locked on his. "Together, okay? We get through this together." Bellamy just rolled his eyes so she gave him a quick kiss before pulling away and looking at him expectantly.

Bellamy smiled reluctantly, leaning in to kiss her but furrowing his eyebrows when she dodged him. Releasing an exaggerated huff, his smile grew into a grin, "Together." Olivia was satiated with that, closing the distance and kissing him. They kissed for a moment before Olivia pulled away; she smiled at him, kissing his cheek.

"Back to packing," she sighed, turning to walk away but stopping as he gripped her hand. Turning back, she gave him a questioning look. From the expression on his face, she could already tell what he was thinking. She twisted her hand around so that their fingers were intertwined. "We put a lot of work into this camp, Bellamy. We did everything we could – you did everything you could. But... maybe it's time we go." She raised their joined hands, kissing his hand gently before releasing their hold and heading off to help pack.

When Clarke and Finn had returned, they'd warned everyone of the incoming grounder attack – one that they weren't ready for. Bellamy wanted to stay but Clarke had managed to convince everyone that it was time to go. It didn't help that Raven was now injured and Murphy had damaged some of their inventory in his exit. Olivia didn't want to go either – this had become a home for them all, but staying there would mean a bigger chance of death and they had to do whatever they could to survive.

Though they'd packed up all they could, it still felt like they were leaving so much behind. They waited for all the people with guns to leave before everyone else followed. Raven was being carried on a makeshift gurney which she hated but it was much faster than letting her walk with her gunshot wound. Eventually, after everyone had emptied out, all that remained was Bellamy, Clarke and Olivia. They all looked around camp, their faces filled with sadness.

"You did good here, Bellamy," Clarke told him after she noticed the forlorn look on his face.

"Eighteen dead," he sighed in disagreement.