chapter twenty-one

'How do you move on?

You move on when your heart finally understands

That there is no turning back.'

J.R.R. Tolkien

↠ ↠ ↠

Since Bellamy's tent was pretty close to the centre of camp, it had been rather difficult for her to leave it without anyone noticing. Luckily, the camp was pretty busy that morning so she'd managed to get out of his tent without running into anyone. Her stomach had been rumbling so Olivia had left first to go grab herself something to eat whilst Bellamy had left to go check on some of his boys. After grabbing something to eat, she headed to the dropship and began doing some boring inventory and organisation tasks.

Once done with those, she headed out, pausing as she spotted a flower on her tree. She wasn't sure how it had become a code for them - honestly, she suspected that Orion had just been copying Lincoln and Octavia - but she knew what it meant. She was happy to see that he was obviously okay but she was also not sure if leaving camp to go see him would be the best thing. Knowing that Orion was her friend despite the grounder feud they had, she decided that she would go see him.

Now aware that keeping it a secret probably wasn't the best idea, she looked all over camp, finding Bellamy helping some guys improve their gun aim. His face brightened when he spotted her, excusing himself to walk over to her. Standing in front of her, he smiled, raising his eyebrows, "What's up, Oli? Were you looking for me?"

"Yeah actually," Olivia nodded, wringing her hands out nervously, "I've got to make two things clear before I say this. One, is that I'm telling you this because I promised that I'd try to make this work and two, I'm not asking for your permission." His face became wary at this but she ignored that and continued on. "I'm going to meet Orion."

The moment the words registered in his mind was clear to her as his face darkened and he scowled, crossing his arms. "How am I meant to respond to that?" he replied.

"You're not," Olivia responded, "I just wanted to be honest with you."

"After all that's happened between us and the grounders, do you really think this is a good idea?" Bellamy raised his eyebrows. She only rolled her eyes in response so he continued, his voice hushed because of the kids around, "What if it's a trap? An ambush?"

She scoffed, shaking her head, "Orion would never do that to me. I know you don't understand it Bellamy and I'm not asking you to but he's my friend. I trust him."

"I don't think you should go," he replied.

"I'm not-"

"-asking my permission, I get it," he cut her off. Releasing a deep breath, he closed his eyes for a long moment. She felt bad that she'd stressed him out but also knew that it was better to tell him than to sneak away and have him find out. Eventually, he opened his eyes, appraising her face. Leaning forward, he placed a peck on her forehead, pulling away and asking quietly, "Please be careful."

She was surprised that he'd given in so quickly but nodded in response, "Of course. I'll be back before the sunsets." Bellamy stepped back, watching as she turned and headed to her tent. She grabbed the stuff she usually used for her meetings with Orion, before heading out of camp. Olivia had been a bit suspicious of the fact that Bellamy had just let her go and it turned out that she had been right to be so as she heard the sound of rustling quietly behind her. Narrowing her eyes, she speeded up her pace, resisting the urge to turn around as that would give away the fact that she was aware he was following her.