chapter twenty-six

'Almost. It's a big word for me.

I feel it everywhere.

Almost home. Almost happy. Almost changed.

Almost, but not quite.

Not yet. Soon, maybe.'

Joan Bauer

↠ ↠ ↠

"You can't seriously want to just leave him down there?" Olivia exclaimed in anger. She'd pushed herself off the ground to go to the others, only to find Bellamy and Finn in a heated debate. Kai was weak and they had no rope so Finn thought it would be a waste of time trying to save him and wanted to leave him behind. Bellamy clearly didn't want to do that but he also wasn't arguing heavily with Finn. Olivia, on the other hand, was completely horrified to find that they even thought that was an option.

Finn gaped at her, no sympathy on his face as he said, "We have no way to get down there and you saw the state he's in, he can't climb back up."

Feeling an overwhelming level of rage, Olivia shoved Finn, shouting, "He's my brother!"

"Not by blood," Finn scowled.

This only made her angrier and she lunged for him, only to be held back by Bellamy. She tried to escape his grasp but he held on tightly. "Oli," he said in her ear, "Olivia, you need to calm down."

Taking a breath, Olivia stopped struggling, giving Bellamy the confidence to release her. Now on the ground, she took a deep breath, glaring at him, "Do you wanna leave him too?" He didn't reply, only sending her a tortured look. "You guys can go if you want," Olivia spat, "I can't force you to stay but I'm helping my brother." She went to storm off but Bellamy stopped her. She was ready to shout at him when he said something that relieved her.

"We're helping your brother," he told her, eyes meeting hers, "Leaving him wasn't ever an option."

Olivia stared up at him for a moment, her lip trembling uncontrollably and the tears spilling down her cheeks. She swiped at them, closing her eyes and trying to compose herself.

"We don't have a rope!" Finn shouted, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion at the turn of events.

"So we make one!" Bellamy countered.

Finn's face scrunched up in annoyance and he got close to Bellamy, their chests bumping as he hissed, "If anything happens to our friends when we could-"

"-we don't know if we can save our friends," Bellamy cut him off, grabbing him by the shirt, "For all we know, they may be dead already. We've all thought it. But what we do know is we could save Olivia's brother." He released Finn, letting him go with a slight shove backwards. Finn glared up at him, his hands clenching into fists.

The next person who spoke was a surprise. The argument clearly wasn't resolved between the two so it seemed that another opinion was due. "After all that's happened, Olivia is one of us now," Monroe stated, gaining everyone's surprised stares. Olivia's eyes were wide, finding that they were filling with tears yet again. "He's her brother. I'm in."

As if that wasn't enough heart-warming for one day, Murphy was next to chime in. He turned to Bellamy and Olivia, crossing his arms and questioning, "So, how do we do it?"

And just like that, it was decided that they'd save Kai. Olivia had never felt so much relief in her life and though she was sad because she knew that this meant her dad was gone, she was overjoyed to find that Kai was alive. Miracles like that rarely happened on the ground and she had to take it for what it was. With the decision made, they all set about to finding seatbelts and wires they could tie together to make a rope. Luckily, there were tons of seatbelts all around in the wreckage and they were quickly able to gather the up.