chapter twenty-eight

'What a terrible feeling

To love someone and not be able

To help them.'

Jennifer Niven

↠ ↠ ↠

Day Thirty-Eight

"You're behaving a little too bravely for someone who complained about how dangerous it is out here," Olivia muttered to her brother as they trekked through the trees. Raven had figured out that Mount Weather was jamming their radio signals so they'd set out on a mission to destroy the tower. Abby had been reluctant but with the amount of times that Clarke and their group had snuck out of camp before, she must have known that it was necessary to just let them come along. For some reason though, Kai had insisted on tagging along, despite being injured. "I mean, I don't know if you've noticed but you have a broken arm."

"Oh, trust me, I've noticed," Kai retorted, "Besides, someone had to keep an eye on you."

Olivia sent him a glare, frustrated that he'd tagged along. It was as if he knew that she, Bellamy and Octavia had a plan to sneak away to find access to Mount Weather and was purposely there to stop it. It was already going to be hard enough to sneak away from the whole search party but now she had to sneak away from her overly-protective brother? That was essentially an impossible mission.

"Don't forget to look up," Bellamy called to the group, "The grounders use the trees - that's how we lost John Mbege."

Even when he'd lost the official position of leader, Bellamy seemed to naturally adopt the role. Smiling, Olivia looked over at him, taking him in as he walked through the trees. Noticing her gaze, he eyed her in confusion, a puzzled smirk covering his face.

"What?" Bellamy raised his eyebrows.

"Nothing," she shook her head. Clearing her throat, she stated, "I'll keep an eye out from above." As she said that, she sent a pointed look over to Kai, silently trying to convey that it would also make it easier to sneak away. Bellamy nodded, watching as she quickly went over to a tree and hoisted herself up. A couple of the guard around watched in mild interest as she expertly climbed the tree and began to manoeuvre through it, managing to keep up with those below easily.

"Is that really necessary?" Kai called from below as he whipped his head around, trying to find her in the branches.

Olivia snorted, "Sure." Her voice gave away her position for that brief moment and he spotted her again, only to lose her as they ventured further.

Losing him when they snuck away now would be a piece of cake. Or at least, that's what she thought. In actual fact, Kai was difficult to get rid of. When Bellamy signalled above to her that they were breaking off from the group, they'd slowed down until they were at the very back, ready to rush off. The only issue was that since Kai couldn't see Olivia and where she was headed, he'd decided the next best thing was to stick to Bellamy - which admittedly was a pretty good plan.

In the end, they hadn't had much time to sneak away before someone noticed so they'd let him tag along. Once they were far enough away, Olivia descended from the trees, landing just in front of them. Bellamy and Octavia had been expecting it so they weren't shocked but Kai released a gasp, jumping back when he saw her. "You were in front of us?" he frowned, "I thought I saw you to the right?"

Olivia crossed her arms, "That was a squirrel."

"Oh," Kai furrowed his eyebrows.

Rolling her eyes, she nodded for them to go and they began walking quickly in the vague direction that they remembered from the map. "According to Clarke," Bellamy began, "Before the bombs there were buildings everywhere here. I'm guessing some of them had access to the bunker."