dead weight

My house was supposed to be a safe haven. Somewhere that not only I but my brother and friends were safe. It had been that to us for years but now, as Malia and Braeden were standing in front of me, telling me that Malia's mom was out to kill me, it was different.

        Now, there was somebody that was able to get into my house, somebody that could do anything there was so kill me. "Look, don't worry about it okay. We can protect you." Braeden explained. Stiles, who had come to my house with me after the struggle at the school, grabbed my hand.

          "I should probably have a gun." He spoke up, causing my eyebrows to shoot up. "I'm not giving you a gun." Braeden scoffed, causing Stiles to release my hand. "You have a gun. The Desert Wolf who is trying to kill my girlfriend has a gun. I think I should probably have a gun." He explained.

         Braeden glanced at me and I shook my head at her subtly. With a huff, she unloaded the handgun she had and tossed the skeleton of it at Stiles. His arms flailed as he tried to grab it. It didn't work as well as he planned and I grabbed it right before it hit the floor. "You probably shouldn't have a gun," I spoke and he nodded.

         "Yeah, I think I can second that myself now." He put his hands on his hips before biting his lip. We stood for a second, Malia definitely able to hear my heart beating from where she stood. "Jayla, can I talk to you?" She asked and I nodded. "Mhm." 

         She took my wrist and guided me into my bedroom. "Are you okay? Your heart is beating really fast." She bluntly spoke and I nodded. "I mean, I'm used to people wanting to kill me, but the fact that I know she's well trained, I'm scared, Malia." I didn't even attempt to hide it.

        It was impossible for me to feel okay with this. Malia, somebody that I considered family has somebody that wants to kill me to get to her. It wasn't her fault and I was completely okay with it. My stomach felt like it was eating itself as I tried to come to terms with me possibly dying.

         "It'll be fine. Braeden and I will stay here overnight, and you'll have somebody with you at all times. You'll be okay. I promise." Shakily, I nodded, my hands shaking slightly as I stood. "I hope it's enough." I sighed and Malia pursed her lips. "It will be. It has to be." There was a knock on the door, causing us both to go for it.

         She opened it and Stiles stood in the door frame. "I'm not going home, I hope you guys know that." He insisted but I shook my head. "Stiles, you can go home. You don't have to worry about her, we got this." Braeden said and he shook his head.

          "You can't get rid of me that easily." He said. "I agree with Braeden, you go home, where you're safe." I insisted, causing him to frown slightly. "But-" He tried to talk but I cut him off. "No. Just go alright, I'll be fine." It was true, as far as I knew.

          Tightly, I smiled, "I can take care of myself with or without the two of them." He sighed heavily, glancing between the three of us. "Fine." He turned, going down the stairs as I yawned. "Okay, you guys, have fun, I guess. But I'm tired and going to bed," 

         I went into my room, closing the door and changing then going to sleep pretty easily. 

-----

        The next morning I woke up to Scott shaking my shoulder lightly. "Hey get dressed, everybody's downstairs. We have to figure out how to find Mason." I groaned, stretching my arms widely as I sat up. 

         "I'll be right down," I spoke, shooing him out of my room. Once he was out, I got dressed, putting on jeans and a pullover sweatshirt. Once I was completely ready, I went downstairs. "My dad's got an APB out..." Stiles' voice hit my ears as I entered the kitchen.