trois

Silence was something she was never good with. Silence bred too many what if and possibilities. Reyna preferred chatter and noise, she preferred the loud voices of her friends yelling over each other to be heard and the murmur of the cafeteria. She preferred the music that echoed around the gym during cheer practice and the cheering at sporting events.

The forest was quiet- the only sound heard was three heartbeats and Bella's crying. The unnerving sensation of being closed in on was prominent in her mind as none spoke- though each seemed to have a different opinion.

Without warning, Bella threw herself toward Reyna- the newborn remaining frozen at the touch of her friend. She wanted to hug back but the idea seemed impossible seeing as she couldn't control he strength.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry!" Bella cried. "New York- and graduation, and your pla- oh, god, you never got to chose the new cheer captain! Oh Rey, I thought you were dead."

"I am, Bell," she whispered. "I am dead."

The human girl cried harder, clinging onto her friend tighter. The sweetness of her blood was tantalizing but the thought of hurting her was too much for Reyna to handle. It took every ounce of self-control that she had to hold herself back from lashing out.

"But that doesn't mean your life's over," Rosalie explained, coming to kneel by her side. "I never wanted this, just like you but this is the life we were given."

"I just want to cry. I died and I can't even cry for myself," Reyna sobbed.

"That's why we have friends and family, to cry for us," Rosalie hugged her, brushing her hair carefully. "What were you like as a human?"

"Happy," she answered simply.

"No, it was more than that," Bella disagreed. "You were joyful - naturally happy about everything and you were so nice. You had this way with people, made them feel good about themselves without even trying. Rey, you carried this sense of hope around with you everywhere and you were always so optimistic- I swear you saw the good in everything."

"What happened to that girl?" Rose asked softly.

"I died," she spat bitterly.

"No," Bella countered angrily. "You're still my best friend, you're just a little lost."

Reaching into a bag that rested on her bag, Bella retrieved a bottle of water and pulled one of Reyna's filthy hands towards her. Pouring the clear liquid, the human scrubbed a mixture of dirt and blood until her skin came off as clean.

Bella made swift work of her other hand, cleaning it thoroughly before taking out some paper towel and scrubbing Reyna's face.

All the while Rose held her tight - an iron grip keeping her from doing anything she would regret. It excruciating, the warm pump of blood that lay under a vein in her friend's neck, the beat and rush audible to her ears.

"Okay, that's enough experimenting for today," Edward stated, a hand pulling his girlfriend away - ignoring the girl's protests.

"She's dong fine, she is exerting impeccable control," Jasper countered- drawing Reyna's attention for the first time.

Looking around, she noticed how he had cleaned up her mess- staged it to look like an animal attack. She was thankful for it, truly but she didn't believe she deserved his help.

Jasper gripped her shoulder, pulling her to her feet with a squeak. She was tiny, everyone around her seemed to tower over her- even Bella was taller. He spun her around, dragging her towards the trees at a fast pace.

The growls and calls of her name behind her were drowned out as he thrust her forward- eyes blazing with determination.

"Fight me," he stated.