onze

The forest was silent as she lurked within the shadows, crouched low among the tree roots as she listened carefully.

The animal was just within reached, sniffing out bushes a few feet from her in search of some smaller animal.

Large, bigger as it prepared for winter hibernation, Reyna was thrilled when she heard the soft earth move under Leah's paw and she sprang forward, shoving the black bear to the side as she rolled with it - Leah's grunt of displeasure sounding behind her causing her to laugh.

A silly game that the wolf girl had granted her, catching the most animals and making the kill was something that the shifter had found herself oddly invested in, enough so that she would tackle Reyna from on top the bear, throwing her into a tree hard enough to crack it as Leah faced off the animal.

Hissing, Reyna shot forward, slipping between the two and shoving her away with her softest kick to the underside, launching herself at the bear again. Her arms slipped around it's head, a hand pulling so the muscles and tendons were pulled taunt, revealing the veins that thrummed frantically at her touch.

"Look away, Leah," the girl grunted, the only warning given before she sunk her teeth through fur and flesh - biting down harder until she reached a vein to nick.

Warmth flooded her mouth, an iron taste with an animal tang to it that made her wish to scrunch her nose at it, but the hunger that had been burning in through her throat had silenced any disdain she had after smelling the human blood that was in the house.

The burn was silencing, having caught a deer a few moments before Leah had even caught up to her, and now a bear within her grasp - Reyna believed it would be safe to return as she was, but she wanted to be as full as she could possibly be before returning. It would only be teasing the others if she came back with a job half done. Reyna would be ready to face anything without the slightest distractions or temptations.

It was like there was an explosion behind her eyelids, a flurry of senses as she sucked the animal dry - ear finely tuned to the low grumbling and grunts of Leah as she lay a reasonable distance away. Reyna groaned, relishing in the soothing sensation that smoothed down her throat with heavy gulps.

She was fast, not taking long to bleed the bear dry and drop it to the ground with a satisfied hum. She felt so much lighter, freer as she made her way to where Leah was resting in a dry patch, her head laying on folded paws.

"Everything all good?" Reyna asked, watching as the girl yawn and pushed herself to her feet. "You can have at the bear if you want. I didn't make a mess of it."

Leah shot her a glare, grunting as she stretched. Reyna took that as a polite dismissal.

"Well, I spotted a mountain lion lurking a little further out last night, want to check that out? It'll be a lot faster and more vicious than the bear was. It's almost hibernation time so they get lazy, not like in spring and mountain lions are always ready for a challenge," Reyna said, facing the direction she had seen the animal last night and gently sniffing the air, searching it out.

She listened to the crack that came under feline feet, and the swish of tail as it cut through the air. She stepped lightly in that direction, letting herself be carried by instinct as she sped up after the animal - keeping Leah in the forefront of her mind so she couldn't mistake scents.

It was dangerous doing this, knowing that she needed the utmost control, but Reyna knew she wouldn't let herself hurt the other girl even if she slipped.

She followed the trail, seeking it out with a predatory skill. Leah must have caught the scent at one point, the girl brushing past her with an excited flick of her tail as she shot past her after it. Reyna laughed, sending herself forward with the same determination and speed to push herself close behind, close enough to reach out and grab the girl by the tail if she wanted to.