six

Days passed with in a blur of time, each day and night nearly the same. The days would be spent with the Cullen's learning more about them, nights would be spent tucked away in Carlisle's office reading in the company of the man.

It was not long before she had run out of things to do- it was the third day after the newly wed couple had left that Reyna spent more time in the kitchen with someone chattering beside her baking as many sweets and meals that she could.

There was a desperation that clawed at her chest, tearing her towards an spoken border between the tribe and the vampires. She wanted to go, to sit and spend as much time as she could near him but she had stopped going after a wolf named Leah had screamed at her about how he would never come out to see her- though she never stopped leaving food near the border when she knew that one of them was scheduled to pass by, tucking a small note within the packages.

Alice believed that it was adorable and Reyna liked to believe that he was reading them. Each letter contained something small about her day or a tidbit about herself, each handwritten with her new phone number scrawled on the bottom.

It was the nights that she could hear the howls of the wolves when she ran through the trees hunting that it would hurt the most. Her chest would ache and eyes would well with emotion for someone that was destined to be hers but refused to meet her.

She would wander closer those nights, daring to near the treaty line at night when they would be much more alert and weary. Listening and hoping to hear him once more, to catch a glimpse of him.

It was a night like so when they wolves howled and called to one another that that Reyna sat quietly by the border as Emmett and Jasper continued to hunt. It was always a game with them on who could catch the biggest animal and she would have participated had she not seen the glint of dark eyes watching her.

The wolf sat on his haunches, still taller than herself with fur darker than the night that blanketed them. He didn't move once she realized that she saw him and neither did she, she instead sat with head held high on her side of what she believed to be a dumb rule.

She had not yet met this shifter, the man that lay beneath fur was a mystery to her as much as her own imprinter was. Knowing nothing of the pack when they knew so much of her left her at an extreme disadvantage.

"Is it true, what Carlisle says about you having a shared mind when in this form? Can Embry hear me speak? Is he shifted at the moment?" Reyna found herself leaning forward on her elbows out of habit, balancing them on her knees.

The wolf made no move to respond and the sound of Emmett's bellowing laughter growing distant didn't bother her all that much, it gave her the chance to be alone. She could hunt later if she needed to because she was not willing to pass on this opportunity.

She waited for some kind of response but began to grow increasingly more impatient the longer she sat without some form of conversation.

It was wearing her optimism thin, the good in this situation running dry. She wondered how long she could allow herself to be disappointed for over a group of people that despised her existence.

"It's hard to admit but he gives me hope, you know, even if I've never met him." Reyna kept her eyes on the ground, the brash ruby color had diminished quite a bit but had still not faded completely from the red that marked her for what she was. "The idea that I can be happy, as happy as the others with a mate at my side to keep me from being reminded of the creature that I am gives me hope that I can be the same person I was as a human- if that makes any sense."

She tucked her hair behind her ear angrily. Her thoughts weren't being expressed with the right words, the way she felt feeling dull with the way she explained them.