treize

Wind carried in gentle wisps, an early fall breeze that worked to surround you in a comforting embrace, a sensation that didn't belong at this moment. She wondered what it was like in New York right now, in the city that never sleeps and the land of skyscrapers that light the night like giants holding lanterns.

The only light now came from the moon, a silver glow that worked alongside the gentle gleam that flooded from the house that was alive with noise. Screaming and cries were heard, snarls of arguments and desperation that made Reyna winced as she heard her best friends heartbeat slowly begin to fade.

She steadied herself, readying as she heard the approaching steps grow louder, more clear - hush whispers passed between Alice and Jasper, silent worries as they discussed the situation and how they were so clearly outnumbered. Their fear was something Reyna felt guilty over as she realized very clearly that she wasn't scared of this outcome, not for herself. Some intrinsic part of her knew that she could not be harmed by tooth and claw by these wolves, not as they could, and she didn't know what to think of that.

Jacob's desperate voice broke through her revery, the wild race of his heart sending a burn of electricity through her as she noticed that so many sounds didn't make sense in the room. A firm, steady beat of a healthy shifter, a hummingbird flutter of another, the baby, with none for her friend. Edward was pleading silently, Rosalie cooing, two new sets of paws hit the earth in a desperate race in their direction, Carlisle and the others still yet to return.

So much was happening so quickly and Reyna found herself unwilling to keep up, grief spreading through her chest like some sickly disease. She couldn't think of anything, she only stood still, deathly so as everything crashed to action.'

Reyna was still fastest by default, a little something that was quickly fading from her system that had her reaching out before either of the two at her side could react, wolves bursting from the trees with an angry growl as they suddenly hit something firm and invisible - hating them dead in their paths as her shield did not waver under her touch.

She kept it firm, arms outstretched as she worked to hold it in place, eyes squeezing shut with the strain she felt upon each impact against it. It was strange now as she found it to be like some sort of extension of herself, not like the glass feeling that had sat against her palms the last time she had attempted this trick, but rather a piece of her, like the duress of her skin, that had manipulated on the outside of her body, living through the attachment of her hands, taking shape of the dome she saw in her mind of it surrounding the house. Reyna didn't really know how she had managed it, how she had worked out such a large space, but she thought of it like the structure of a building, a necessary strength that would cause everything else to crumble.

Without the shield, they would be dead, taken out for standing in their way from the baby they were so desperately against - or at least her family would be and that was all she needed to keep her hold of it.

That did not prevent the wolves from trying to get her to drop it as they continued to ram against it, waiting for it to shatter like the glass they knew it would once they finally broke through.

Her head snapped up to the sound of the whine that came from directly in front of her, finding the eyes that were level with hers painful to meet. Grey fur tickled against the barrier like it was against keeping him away, and Reyna snapped her eyes shut painfully, shaking when his head knocked against it.

It burned, ached, as her muscles protested against her like she was overworking herself and had reached her limit. Her knees were weak, fingers stiff, and Reyna found her shoulder curling inward as she strained to keep it still, strong. It was like she felt every crack that was made and she rushed to fix it, pouring more of herself into it.