neuf

A gasp, one of pain and mumbled apologies, reassurances, had Reyna stalling in her reading - pausing as she gazed down at the floor in the general direction of her friend, knowing the girl was in pain.

She was not alone, Jacob with her, but he and Edward were conspiring to talk the girl out of her choices. It was uncertain what the boy would think, his devotion to Bella would cloud his mind so completely from what the girl was trying to do that he could ruin things he did not think possible to ruin.

It was sincere words, whispers of love and triumphant that turned Reyna back to the book, fingers digging a little harder than necessary as she sped through the pages - glosing over the pictures of monsters clawing from a mothers stomach. This baby wasn't a monster, no baby was or could ever be born a monster.  These were nothing but old folks tales, tales of obscure cultures and societies from times long ago, before they could have hoped to understand even slightly.

Carlisle didn't acknowledge the sudden tension in her shoulders, how her spine became rigid, and how this she was thankful, uncertain if she could handle speaking her mind so freely and angrily about the situation.

Because Reyna would have died for any child she carried - uncaring of whether they were fully human or a true bred demon. Never could she fault Bella for wishing to do the same.

It was growing dark, the stack of books growing higher, when she finally returned to Bella - an itch in her mind that she couldn't hope to scratch haunting her. There was something she was missing, something they were all overlooking that would make this all rather simple and cause less stress in the end.

Bella was asleep, tucked comfortably on the couch with blankets covering her for warmth. Rose stood by, Emmett and Edward hovering, and Reyna stayed just outside the room, not wishing to disrupt the tranquillity of it all.

Silent and peaceful moments were hard to come by now, much more so when all of them were approaching the point of starvation. They were all tense, all alert.

Reyna was the first to hear it, seemingly always the first now. The howls were loud to her ears, calling and filled with despair. It brought her to the window, quickly, Edward moving to her side immediately, searching for what only she knee was out there.

The howls, the pack, something was wrong. She glanced to Edward, asking, and with his nod of approval she's moving out the house quickly, flipping down the front steps gracefully as she darted to the woods - following the sound of the wolf cries.

She was still faster, stronger than the other, but just barely as she neared the end of the newborn period, any additional enhancements like those of Edward's speed or Emmett strength would reveal themselves soon but until then, if even she had any, she would use what she had to her advantage.

Feet carried her fast as she propelled herself forward, launching herself between trees, digging up dirt as she went. She could hear it clearer now, then stop in the howls but the distant, barely there thud of paws against the forest floor.

Closer, so close, and she was throwing herself over the road, landing in a neat little crouch at the other end before moving forward - nearly crashing into the large furry mass as it skids to a stop in front of her.

Reyna shrieked, heels digging hard into the earth before looking up at the russet wolf that towered over her.

"Jacob?" She whispered, confused. "What in the world is going on? I heard you all from the house."

The wolf bobbed his large head, paws hitting the floor with a huff before he nudged her in the stomach with his nose, pushing her back in the direction of the house.