douze

The smell of iron, of that distinct tang, filtered through the home overwhelmingly. It was, at this point, something that no longer bothered any of them as they remained scattered in their various rooms.

Immune as they had made her out to be, Reyna did not waste the opportunity in bringing all that she could back to the house, the smell of dead animals long gone as the small pack took to roasting it around the back of the house in hopes of conserving the food for the duration of Bella's human period. It was not very pleasant for them, but Reyna had provided as much assistance to them as she could.

She was relaxed in such an atmosphere, hidden away in her bedroom as she drew lines and took measurements on a large sheet of graph paper, her mind blissfully numb as she hummed along to one of the many CDs she had borrowed from Edward's vast collection. It was something soft, a gentle beat that left her wanting to spin in silly circles and dance on her tiptoes. It was enough to keep her mind blissfully blank as she worked, her fingers only twitching when peaks of various conversations broke through her awareness.

Her lips moved as she murmured equations under her breath, pencil flitting across the page, a design taking shape under her hand as she pushed herself to finish it. It wasn't much, but it was well built, easily concealed and aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

It was enough to keep her from scenting him before he got too close, the iron, the music, her focus all directed elsewhere. It was enough to make her gasp, pencil in her hand snapping as she flashed to her window, leaning out as she peered into the trees.

She could hear them, the crunch sounding underfoot as they ran off in the vague direction of town. Something had been completely lost on her as she noticed the way Jacob ran off toward the treaty line leaving Seth and Leah behind to run patrol.

She had no idea how it had happened but the house was missing three key individuals, Carlisle leaving an echoing emptiness in his place as Bella doctor.

Reyna didn't hesitate to slip down the stairs, music long forgotten as she entered the sitting room with her breath held tightly in her chest. It wasn't the blood that bothered her anymore, but the smell of sickness that continued to cling to her best friend despite her increasing health.

"What's going on?" She asked, positioning herself by the window where she was free to keep watch of the night.

There was something that was bothering, itching right beneath her skin as she tried to focus. They had told her that her hearing range was the best, something they hadn't really seen before, but in a way being like Edward's speed or Emmett's strength, and it made her wonder, and feel truly horrible, as she had managed to miss all that had been going on while she was in her room. It made her a little sick to think of the forbidding feeling that she might have otherwise ignored.

Edward looked to her only for a moment before turning away and facing Bella once again, offering her a Styrofoam cup filled tainted a dark red with a silly straw sticking out. The suggestion had made Reyna crinkle her nose the first time and she was thankful she had been out when it was made.

"Jacob went to meet with Sam as a distraction to allow Esme, Carlisle and Emmett to get into town," Edward explained, wiping his hands from the dirt they did not hold and moving to lean against the arm of the couch behind where Bella sat comfortably snuggled up. "Carlisle needed more blood bags and Esme wanted to get some more food."

Humming, she nodded in acknowledgement as she returned to the window, piercing the trees with a glare as she searched for something that may not have been there, searching out whatever the feeling meant. It was an antsy feeling, one that made her nervous and twitchy, like she was restless - it kept her straining her hearing outwards, listening to each groan of the tees, each crunch under the step of animals, the steady breathing of Bella behind her as she sipped her drink.