The Secret thickens

Please comment and vote, they make my day so much happier and then I'll want to upload more often knowing what people think! ^_^

*Harry's POV*

I watched Riley sitting beside Ron, tossing food at him as the feast carried on. I studied her, noticing her gaze wander around the hall, even noticing Draco give a small nod in Riley's direction. What would be so important not to tell someone?

"Everything alright Harry?" Hermione asked casually as Ron and Riley glanced at me, both with food hanging from their mouths.

I nodded taking a bite of chicken before Riley flung a bit of mashed potatoes at me. I laughed as I threw a bit of bread at her, "what do you think about this tournament that's going to happen?" I asked.

Riley's eyes twinkled as she glanced up at the glowing goblet and frowned, "shame we're not old enough."

I shrugged, "I wouldn't want to enter that tournament even if I were paid to."

Ron's eyes sparkled just as bright as Riley's and he grinned, "I wouldn't mind some glory you know? And that money, what I could do with that money!"

Hermione shook her head and sighed, I realized that two of my best friends were picturing what glory would feel like. I smiled as dessert appeared in front of us and tucked into the food.

As we followed the prefects to our dormitory Riley ran ahead to Fred and George and Hermione went off to talk to Ginny leaving Ron and I alone.

"What sort of thing would Riley hide from us, you reckon?" Ron spoke lowly, ascending the stairs.

"Whatever it has to be, its something to do with her family," I shook my head slightly, "I can't think of anything that it could be."

"What if Hermione knows?" Ron asked hopefully, the portrait hole opening before us.

I paused and saw Hermione going to sit on the arm of a chair Riley jumped on with Ginny on the other arm, I watched the girls as they laughed and saw Hermione wave us over. "Girls tell each other everything don't they?" Ron whispered as we approached. I shrugged, I had no clue what the girls talked about when we weren't around but they were close friends so why wouldn't Riley tell Hermione?

*Hermione's POV*

I sat next to Riley and Ginny, we were chatting about our new DADA professor, Moody, I saw Harry and Ron enter the room and I waved them over. They looked troubled about something and I frowned slightly as I heard Ron whisper that girls tell each other everything and they were glancing at Riley.

---Flashback---

The room was deserted leaving me to work in peace until the portrait hole opened up and someone rushed through. I glanced up from my work and saw Riley walking quickly to the fireplace, she was quietly wiping her eyes as she threw her bag on the floor beside her. I looked down at my potions essay and decided to check on her until the portrait hole opened up again and the quidditch team appeared.

The whole team was quietly moving to their rooms as I shrunk in my seat at the table, I was next to the stairs but in the shadows, the perfect spot for going unnoticed. I silently watched as Oliver walked over to Riley who was still wiping her eyes, he got down on his knees and rubbed Riley's back slightly.

"What happened, Rye?" Oliver whispered.

"I need to make sure that my grades are up or I'm in trouble when I go home," Riley whimpered.

"I'll help you with your work alright?"

Riley let out a sigh and shook her head, "no. You have your work and quidditch I don't want to take up your free time."

Oliver chuckled slightly, "we'll think of something alright? Just get to bed," Riley nodded as Oliver tried to hug her but she pulled away.

"What will we do?" she sobbed.

Oliver was quiet for a few moments, "I won't let that man hurt you again, that's a promise."

"My back hurts," Riley mumbled miserably.

"There's nothing hurting you," Oliver patted her head. "I'll help with your work, we'll make sure you have top notch grades. Everything will be fine."

"You have quidditch to worry about, you have to win the cup," Riley shook her head.

"I still have time to help my little sister though, promise." I watched Oliver stick out his pinky finger toward her.

I pushed myself further into my hiding spot, trying to remain unseen as Riley wiped away her tears and Oliver set the letter that Riley had been crumbling in her hands on fire. When the flames went out, Oliver tossed the ashes into the fire and sat down beside her.

"Whatever happens, I'm not going to let that excuse of a human being hurt you again," Oliver vowed quietly. "Now, let's go get something from the kitchens."

Before she could object, Oliver forced Riley to her feet and the two slowly walked out of the common room. I tiptoed from my spot and toward the fire, seeing the remains of the letter slowly burning away, the only thing that stuck out was a surname. Daxton.

I frowned slightly, watching the lettering slowly char.

The next day I went to the library and looked through older issues of the Daily Prophet until I was able to find the name in that letter.

"Having murdered 50 people in cold blood, Daxton was tried in the early morning of August 9th. During a brief recess in the trial, Daxton escaped his confinement. His trial is paused until further notice. His wife, Alexa Black and daughter Samantha Daxton have long been assumed to be missing persons before the attack."

The rest of the article explained that at some point during his sentencing, Daxton was able to escape from his prosecutors and go into what many assume was hiding along with his family. No news of his death was ever confirmed and he was never sent to Azkaban, his escape was still a mystery to this day. My mind went a mile a minute before I looked around, I needed to find more, I hurried toward the restricted section.

"I was in the library today and found something really....weird," I commented the following morning while walking to the Great Hall. "Did you ever hear of the wizard named Johnathan Daxton?"

Riley's smile vanished instantly and she was suddenly pale as she looked at me, "never heard that name before."

I raised an eyebrow, "I saw the name on the letter you tossed in the fire last night, I heard you and Oliver talking."

"No, I--"

She looked so frightened as she studied me, several minutes passed until she answered. "What you need to understand first, is that my mother ran away with me when I was one. What you need to also understand is this never goes beyond the two of us. Ever."

----End---