Ch. 10 - Johnny

I'm Prince Charming and Mackenzie's Cinderella. Fate just keeps throwing us together doesn't it?

***

"Welcome, everyone to the very first rehearsal of Cinderella!" Mr. Mills says, "I'm sure you have seen the main cast list. Here are some additionals, Hayden Summerall as the Grande Duke and Carson Lueders as the Doorman. Behind-the-scenes there will be Maddie Ziegler as our Hair & Make-up Artist. And, yes, I know Maddie is also playing the Stepmother. Lauren Orlando, Jacob Sartorius, Katie Smiths, and Jessica Kels are on the set...."

I zone out of Mr. Mills' long speech and look around instead. I spot Mackenzie, not looking at all interested and Maddie standing infront of her, delighted that she has been chosen as the Hair & Make-Up Artist.

Mackenzie notices me staring at her and gets up to leave. I take permission to go to the toilet so I can see where Mackenzie ran off to.
On my way to the bathroom, I see her sitting down on the corridor floor, crying.

I sit down beside her. She looks up at me, her is make-up running.

"Hey, you OK?" I ask her, not sure what else to say.

"I can't do it" she whispers.

"Do what?" I ask.

"Play Cinderella" she says.

"Why not?" I ask, puzzled.

"It's Maddie's thing." she says.

"Maddie's thing?" I say.

"Maddie's always been the star" she says ,"She's the best at dancing. The best at acting..."

"The best at singing?" I ask.

"No," she says, "Singing's the only thing that is actually my thing. The only thing I'm better than her at."

"So, you should be happy that you're playing Cinderella!" I say.

"Lets face it," she says, "We both know that Maddie's meant to be the one playing Cinderella not me."

"Mackenzie, it doesn't matter whether you think that she should be playing Cinderella instead of you. You're the one that got picked for it not her, that shows that you are better than you think you are. You shouldn't be comparing yourself and Maddie, you're two different people. No one should expect you to be the perfect girl. We all have our good days and bad days."

"Thanks Johnny" she says, wiping her eyes. She's not crying anymore.

I stand up and extend my hand out to her. She takes it and stands up too.

"Shall we go?" I say.

She nods.

I guess it's safe to say that me and Mackenzie are no longer enemies.