Ch. 20 - Johnny

I'm in the soccer stadium, on Saturday morning, warming up on the sideline before the match.

"OK, gather up!" Coach says, "Here's the starting line up for today. Forwards: Johnny and Eddie. Midfielders: Jacob, Carson, Adam and Hayden. Defenders: Ryan, Tom, Jack and Nathan. Goalkeeper: Jake. And the Captain is Johnny. Okay?"

"Yes, sir"

"You have ten minutes before the match starts. If you need the toilet you can go, but I want you back here in five minutes" Coach says.

I wander off to find the bathroom.

Today, we are playing Sheelway Academy, and we're in their stadium. Their stadium is so big and I have no clue where I'm going. I look around for any sign to indicate where the bathroom is.

"Hi Johnny" I hear someone say behind me.

I turn my head around and jump back terrified when I see a scary girl behind me.

She's wearing a luminous yellow top with a bright green skirt and purple net stripes. She is wearing a purple wig with green stripes. She's wearing black and purple gothic make-up and has the words 'Go, Leefort, Go!' tattooed on both her cheeks. I recognise her, its Nicole. No other girl would go full on like Nicole does just for a soccer match.

"Oh Nicole!" I say.

"She scared you, didn't she?" Mackenzie says, coming up behind Nicole. Unlike Nicole, Mackenzie looks normal.

"She didn't scare me" I say protectively.

"Yeah, sure..." Mackenzie says sarcastically.

"She didn't!"

"Can the players from both teams line up. The match will commence in a few minutes."

"Shoot. I haven't even gone to the bathroom yet. Gotta run!" I say, finally spotting the bathrooms.

***

The whistle blows and the match starts. I am running up the field with Eddie. Eddie runs up towards the goalie and the defenders.

"Wait, Eddie. We're meant to be hanging onto the ball for the first half not shooting!" I say, reminding him of Coach's orders.

"I'll do what I want. Thank you very much" Eddie snaps.

I run after Eddie and the opponent team gather round us. They begin their tactics, closing in on us and quickly steal the ball from Eddie. We struggle to get it back but its useless.

"You think this stupid trick will stop us!" Eddie says angrily.
Eddie signals to me that I should slide tackle the defender with the ball from the left while he tackles from the right.

Unfortunately, Sheelway guess what we are doing andbthe defender falls out. My foot trips up Eddie instead and Eddie falls on top of me. I wince.

"Damn it!" Eddie says, getting up.

"You see! This is why Coach told us not to attack!" I say, getting up too.

"OK. I get it. Its all my fault." Eddie says.

"Yes. It is your fault." I say.

"Are you two OK?" Hayden asks us.

"Yeah" I say ignoring the pain in my knee.

"I kinda twisted my ankle but its fine. I can still play." Eddie says.

We continue to play until the half time whistle blows.

"Okay, we have a bit of a change up for the second half," Coach says, "Eddie and Johnny are on the bench."

"What?!" we all say.

"Eddie, I noticed that you were not executing my orders" Coach says.

Eddie looks down.

"And Johnny, your knee is still hurting from when you and Eddie collided. Isn't it?"

"WHAT?!" Everyone says including Eddie.

I look down. "You noticed."

"Of course I noticed. There's no use trying to hide it. It'll just get worse." Coach says.

"Jacob. You're the captain for the second match." Coach says.

"Yes, Coach!" Jacob says taking the captain armband from me.

"Nadia and Nicole!" Coach says once the second half has started as he spots them hovering near the field, "Make yourselfs useful and get these boys some ice."

"Yes sir!" They say.

A while later they return. Nadia kneels down next to me and puts the ice on my knee.

"You OK?" she asks.

"Yeah. I'm fine. Coach is just making a big deal of it." I say although it actually hurts really bad.

"Oww!" Eddie says screaming like a little girl.

"Would you keep still!" Nicole says impatiently.

"Why should I, when you're trying to murder me!" Eddie says.

"I'm just putting ice on your foot. Calm down!" Nicole says angrily.

Nadia laughs. I laugh too.

"Why are you guys laughing at me?" Eddie whines.

Nadia and I look at each other  and laugh even harder.

The final whistle blows and I look at the scoreboard we won! 2-1. We managed to break past their defense tactics.